Windows 7 or 10?

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

Hi again,

I'm currently looking into getting a Windows dual-boot running on my Macbook, so I can develop in GLBasic 15 in a more convenient way. I'm currently using CrossOver to run GLBasic, and while it works fine, it does not allow me to use the debugger. So I decided to install a Windows version just to run GLBasic.

Now, I have two versions available to me: Windows 7, and Windows 10. Which one would be better to run GLBasic v15? I don't care about anything else, I just want to develop and compile my game on it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!  <3

dreamerman

If truly You will use it only for developing with GLBasic use Win7 (as You don't need all that fancy stuff like DX12 support, multiple desktops, and so on).
After checking Win10 little after was released and seen all that crap with updates, spying tools, strange performance problems, I sticked to Win7 & 8.1...
Now it's better but still there are some issues that are annoying (not everybody encounters them, e.g. background updates causes random restarts) so probably safest option would be to use Win7 (if you don't have Win8.1), yet newer system means better use of multi-core CPU (specially those from AMD), and so on...
But there is a catch, if in future You will plan to develop some UWP base app/game, write something in VisualStudio, then Win10 would be better even with it flaws. Not sure how does it applies to popular game tools like UDK, Unity..
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

bigsofty

I develop on Windows 7, so I'd recommend that for pain free development. Main problem I have with Windows 10 is the need for a good internet connection as it seems to be constantly downloading stuff.  :blink:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

Dispite the Windows 10 1709, that failed install, then im did not have that kind of issues with glbasic Development generally. Currectly im are on my reserve machine, that use Windows 8.1.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

I'd go back to Windows 7 in a hearbeat. When my lappy died, only Win 8.1 was available and then I was bugged constantly into upgrading to 10. I really miss Win7. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in Win 10 that is actually better. :'(
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

howover Windows 7 is unsupported when regaardling to malware and virus.

both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Works fine. Its not perfectly, but Works fine.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Windows 7 is not supported by Microsoft for Malware etc. but their solution in Windows Defender isn't worth having anyway.

There is much better third party support for that. As for updates, I'd rather no updates than the constant shuts down or updates whenever it wants. No warnings or anything. Win7 never did that. I know people will say "Mine doesn't do that" but there are countless stories of others that do.

To me, this discussion isn't about security, but preference of use.

Linux works fine. MacOS works fine. Every OS works fine. They all have issues, pros and cons. I just find that I had less issues in Win7 than in Win10.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

I am on Win 7 and use Bitdefender for anti malware / ransom stuff.

Still running fine! :)

I may need to buy a new laptop soon...not looking forward to it.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

r0ber7

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm currently doing a Windows 7 install based on your suggestions. Seems like the way to go. Very happy to be having a dedicated development environment again.

:good:

spacefractal

im does use my machines many other than than glbasic..... VR example do require Windows 10 today. So im dosent have that much choice. im do have arcade cab running 10 and reserve running 8.1 (currectly, howover im dosent have VR stuff installed here).

But regaardless of choice, there is no issue with glbasic with any Windows version at all.