Baba´s Palace CPC game

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Bit of trivia - Code listing for playing Imperial March was included in the Steve Vickers ZX Spectrum Manual
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Ian Price

Cool. I have to admit, it is one of my fave pieces of music (and not just because I'm a Star Wars fan). John Williams is a musical God, IMHO :D
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

Sorry, totally got it wrong - 'Funeral March' in ZX Manual not Star Wars!

Quote from: Ian Price on 2018-Apr-16
Cool. I have to admit, it is one of my fave pieces of music (and not just because I'm a Star Wars fan). John Williams is a musical God, IMHO :D

But I agree Williams music is class! I also like Vangelis' music.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

erico

Yep he is excellent, but there are a lot of movie musicians I enjoy, James Horner being one of them too (commando soundtrack for example).

Ian Price

I love the Commanda OST. Jamers Horner also did great work in several other films that I enjoy, including (especially) Aliens, cocoon and Willow to name just a few.

Speaking of Vangellis - I watched (the first hour) of Bladerunner 2049 the other day and the lack of the famous Vangellis BR OST really let it down!  :D  :rant:
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Recently I'm have head a starwars concert. It's was very cool to hear it live.

Also loading music is somewhat much better on c64, which could do even do a loading mini game first while loading the main game (take that, Namco) with music and all.  I'm also seen few games (like dracon lair) that loaded the next level while playing.

On disc I'm was also quite impressed with the katakis fast loader. It's took just about 2-3 secs to load a level. The game was also little bit buggy in one of the levels.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Amstrad had a number of games that played muic while loading too - Thrust, Harvey HeadBanger, Spiky Harold to name just a few. There were also games that played a mini-game while loading too - After The War was one that I recall off the top of my head. There were others that showed a real-time countdown too.

I really don't get how Namco fought and won the patent about mini-games in loaders; must hace just been a console thing, as computers were doing that in the 8bit days, loooooooong before Ridgeracer, Tekken et al  did it on PSX.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Yes I'm did heard them.  But sid is still best in sound area. C64 did have a better interrup system here.  I'm so only talk about loading here. There is good games on all systems.

Funny I'm have follow battle of the ports on you tube. Most arcade ports on amstrad is quite slow.  Howover I'm do like hell copter game and space Harrier vector graphics.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

There were good and bad ports for CPC; same as the C64. Loads of slow, shite C64 ports too. They all depended on the person/company doing the port and time give to complete it. The strengths and weaknesses of each machine were often not the reason a game was crap for a particular machine.

As for sound, SID was not always the best as has been clearly stated before.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

I'm did also seen very crappy speccy ports to c64.... Only few games escaped with a good game play despite a speccy port. Here c64 and spectrum is quite different. I'm did newer liked the crappy beeper on spectrum, but today when ay done right, its quite cool.

I'm did a tune in single here today for a spectrum next game.

bigsofty

Quote from: erico on 2018-Apr-17
Yep he is excellent, but there are a lot of movie musicians I enjoy, James Horner being one of them too (commando soundtrack for example).

James Horner, good call Erico, Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan composer, amazing soundtrack, wonderful production.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)