Kindle Fire - not looking good so far

Previous topic - Next topic

turnerb

Just got my Kindle Fire and tried a few Sample GLBasic apps.  I tried Pong, SphereMapping, Shadows, Light, and a few others, all failed to run correctly.  Some ran, but only text appeared on the screen.

I tried the iTouchMouse sample, and as long as I limited the mousepoints to 2 or less, it worked.  That was my only success.

Overall the Kindle Fire device is not great in my opinion.  Its slow, the UI lags, the Wifi seems slower than my other devices, and the screen has plastic instead of glass on it so I am expecting lots of scratches.

I am still too new to GLBasic to even figure out how to make basic determinations as to what should or should not work, but I was hoping the samples would work well on the new device.

MrTAToad

AlienMenace has a Fire too and he says its okay.  Dont know whether he has tried the 3D side of GLBasic yet though.

turnerb

Pong is not 3D, but it does not run.  All these things run fine on HP Touchpad and Pre.

AlienMenace

I had my 2D game running on the Fire but slow. I have not tested 3D stuff yet.

I like my Fire for the things I do in my daily life but I am less than impressed with GLB Android performance overall and I hate trying to develop for it.  :rant: but I certainly do not agree with TurnerB's comments on the overall merits of the device... for example, it does have Gorilla Glass...

Here is a link to a you tube video that is a scratch and drop test of the Fire...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxlsNLi-9s

But I did too have issues with the mouse input stuff.

Its a good, solid tablet for $200 bucks. Just beware of its limitations.
Apps published: 3

AlienMenace

Correction- Actually my game is running pretty well on the Fire (except for some sound issues), it's running like dog poop on my 7" Flyer now though. So yeah... Fire good... Flyer bad. At least for today.. tomorrow? Who knows. :)
Apps published: 3

spacefractal

Look like there is some CPU hog in background, that cause it? Did or do a restart work?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/