Chaos Rematch - WIP thread

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

Slowly but well. Thanks for asking.  :)

In order to speed up development in later stages I created a complex debugging mode that allows me to see the internal workings of my app by flipping through different screens of information. It also allows me to alter global settings like screen resolution & texture detail, force state shifts, force errors and edit game related data like map, character and object data on the fly. My approach to coding is very modular this time too.

The same basic engine I'm creating is also being used for Robot Ninja Assassin, another game I'm working on that is real-time rather than turn based. Robot Ninja Assassin has taken priority for the moment because its a more marketable game and my artist/musician partner is excited about the steampunk setting.

erico

robot ninja assassin? on a steam punk environment?
I WANNA SEE IT NOW! NOW NOW NOW! :)

ps: show a pic pretty pliiiisi.... ;/

Wampus

Oh, well I will announce it soon then! Would have to post concept art though since screenshots right now would suspiciously resemble Minicraft.

erico

hehe ok, but I´m really curious, theme is great.
Don´t forget a steampunk zombie here and there.

r0ber7

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Feb-27
Slowly but well. Thanks for asking.  :)

In order to speed up development in later stages I created a complex debugging mode that allows me to see the internal workings of my app by flipping through different screens of information. It also allows me to alter global settings like screen resolution & texture detail, force state shifts, force errors and edit game related data like map, character and object data on the fly. My approach to coding is very modular this time too.

The same basic engine I'm creating is also being used for Robot Ninja Assassin, another game I'm working on that is real-time rather than turn based. Robot Ninja Assassin has taken priority for the moment because its a more marketable game and my artist/musician partner is excited about the steampunk setting.

:) Alright. Good to hear.

Wampus

Will be working for the next few days on the alpha of this game. Lots of progress but still lots to do!

The bad news for people wanting a remake of the original is the chance of spells failing has been dropped and with it creature illusions too. I felt it was potentially too frustrating for modern gamers and was dropped from the official sequels for a reason. Instead a mana level will be used instead, with more powerful spells using up more mana.

The first alpha should feature 18 creatures, many of the classic spells plus a few new ones and a basic scenery tile set. The way the game is structured should make it easy to make regular content updates. We're aiming for 27 basic creatures for Beta release with more coming if the game takes off.

AI may have been started by first alpha but could be fairly basic, i.e. either stupidly ignorant or far too effective.

Story mode and network multiplayer won't be ready for first alpha since they will be paid version only. However, the whole thing is being built with story mode and network multiplayer in mind, so expect them. Story mode will use a procedurally created world with a narrative AI to keep it fresh each time. Multiplayer mode will offer many options for fighting, e.g. fog-of-war, teams and resource management.

EDIT: If you can think of any wizard names that aren't going to lead to legal threats or trouble with apple for bad language let me know and I'll add them to the list of randomly selected names for computer opponents.

r0ber7

I particularly like that tree in the left bottom corner.  :good:

Wampus

Changed the title of this thread to more represent what I'm posting to it. :) Progress made but still nothing playable yet. Its slow going because I'm putting in a lot of effort to make everything easy to modify later, to speed up the slower later stages of development. For example, all the tiles, objects, creatures and spells have their own folders which contain INI files describing the attributes, animations and sounds used. To change or add something new I need only to modify or create a new folder and the content gets picked up by the game.

The main playing area can be moved around quickly with the finger, zoomed in or out by pinching the screen and selections made with a single tap. If you zoom far out the textures are swapped out for smaller ones to keep performance good.

The game design for story mode has me excited. I think it will extend the life of the game a great deal.

As always the progress on the basic set of alpha creature list is ongoing:-

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have the map, objects and sprites all working together, a basic UI and something looking more like a game than boring looking engine testing screens like this:-

mentalthink

NICE, NICE PIxel art... AESOOOOMIIIING!!!, I want play yet to your game finished!!!  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:  :booze: :booze:

Ian Price

Those sprites look fantastic. With the exception of one.

The humanoid skeleton has too many bones in the upper arm and upper leg - there should only be one (in each) and the pelvis is too small (sorry - I've been in nursing too long - it just seems so wrong! :P)

See here -

Other than that, keep up the jolly good work =D
I came. I saw. I played.

Wampus

Gah! Drat those pesky earthlings and their unnatural bone structure.

@mentalthink soon, soon.  :)

Mrs. Wampus

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Apr-08
Those sprites look fantastic. With the exception of one.

The humanoid skeleton has too many bones in the upper arm and upper leg - there should only be one (in each) and the pelvis is too small (sorry - I've been in nursing too long - it just seems so wrong! :P)

Other than that, keep up the jolly good work =D

I'll bet you're going to tell me horses don't have wings next!

Ian Price

QuoteI'll bet you're going to tell me horses don't have wings next!
Of course they do. Just the ones we see generally are deformed - they are also lacking their single horns. :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Mrs. Wampus

Ian Price

Much :)

And animated too - nice =D

See it was worth mentioning it!
I came. I saw. I played.