Any known issues running current glbasic apps on ipad 3?

Previous topic - Next topic

mykyl66

Any known issues running current glbasic apps on ipad 3? I'm asking as other apps we have developed using Corona don't display correctly apparently. I doubt the glbasic apps will have any issues to be honest but its worth knowing and I don't have the benefit of owning an ipad3.

Cheers

Mike

MrTAToad

Trouble is, it's only just come out today, so we wont find out for a while.

Qube

I can happily confirm that GLB apps work 100% on my shiny new iPad 3 :nana:  (only tested my own, but no problems thus far)

Now, Gernot, can we have native retina res for the latest iPad pleeeeaaassseeeeee?

mykyl66

Perfect. I don't foresee any real issues with our glbasic games either. Just wanted to check.

Thank you

Mike

spacefractal

its not detected by GETDESKTOPSIZE by default (and setting a 9999x9998 in options)? Elsewise its need to been "fixed", if not its a SDL limit (I hope not).

Howover its might take a week or two if something, and gernot cant update it before he get a new mac, but I remember its was not him that created iOS port (was it not Trucidare, that did that port)?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

fuzzy70

Out of curiosity, if you do not have a desktop monitor that is at least the iPad3 resolution is it a case of

• write program
  • compile
  • send to ipad
  • doesn't look right(layout or positioning wrong). modify & go back to step 2

Not having an iPad, or iPhone for that matter I am assuming the trips to a Mac & Xcode are only required for the Apple appstore part. If you do have to use xcode before you send it to the iPad that is some serious faffing about required  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

QuoteNot having an iPad, or iPhone for that matter I am assuming the trips to a Mac & Xcode are only required for the Apple appstore part. If you do have to use xcode before you send it to the iPad that is some serious faffing about required 

Unfortunately, serious faffing is indeed required. I can tell you that it's a right PITA :(

It's bad enough compiling for a device and then sending and testing straight from the pc (a la webos), but having to compile, send over to Mac, then to real device, test and rinse and repeat. Only with iOS you have to ensure you've got the right dev certificates and other pointless crap in place first. But prior to this you need to buy a dev licence and a Mac...

Gernot and Trucidare were working on something to cut out the Mac and XCode, but it's not been implemented yet.
Hopefully in the next major update/upgrade.

I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

But that require jailbreaking (is iOS5.1 have been that?)

Both mine is upgraded to that now and not option to do that throught as well the final code still of course require xcode, so a Mac is not can been avoided in that place. But in under dev its would been somewhere easier under testing of course.  But yes to get wokring with certificates and that what Apple have designed them is a hell and could been much easier to deploy and in use. Annoyring. Howover here I using network setup, so I compile, and then run it from Mac directly.

Here Android and WebOS is much much easier to get thing working and Greedy Mouse Ported nearly straight to WebOS after a just a hour instailling driver in dev mode. WebOS here is excellent to testing, so I not wonder they like WebOS so much here.

Still to update to get working on iPad3 Retina should been pretty easy, right (if not above issues of course)?

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

QuoteWebOS here is excellent to testing, so I not wonder they like WebOS so much here.
WebOS is simply fantastic. This is what iOS SHOULD have been.
I came. I saw. I played.

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-17WebOS is simply fantastic. This is what iOS SHOULD have been.
If you take the WebApps route for iOS, you can totally bypass XCode, Apple's developer license, and even the AppStore altogether. And their functionality is quite similar to that of WebOS.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

Marmor

hi,
can anyone confirm : ipad 3 has the same cpu speed as ipad2 but double gpu speed ?
how much fps with a full size background png ?
thx

spacefractal

html5 is not for games, but more for appliations really and you need to host it yourself. Its require more horsepower for that.

And yes since iPad 3 have same cpu, but double or such better GPU, that could ave some limit in my game, Greedy Mouse. I might need to revert to 30fps and/or disable the colored font (some devices not like colored polyvectors). 30fps is a no problemo in a game like that anyway :-D (I deploy that in most devices anyway, except iPad 2 and desktop machines).

So hence we want retina support, if not working directly :-D. But the game is first finsihed in around 2 month, so no hurry for me.

Ian Price

QuoteIf you take the WebApps route for iOS, you can totally bypass XCode, Apple's developer license, and even the AppStore altogether. And their functionality is quite similar to that of WebOS.
Just reading the briefing on the first screen of that link seems to indicate that it's just links to web-based apps, and not something that's actually available off-line (could be my poor interpretation). If this is the case, then that's not like webOS and not what I'd necessarily want/need. Plus iOS (the operating system itself) is inferior to webOS too.

Quotehtml5 is not for games, but more for appliations really and you need to host it yourself. Its require more horsepower for that.
You'd be surprised then at what HTML is capable of games-wise. Take a look at some of the stuff that monkey (the newest Blitz language) can do with HTML5. There are limitations, but it's pretty good (and fast in Chrome).
I came. I saw. I played.

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-17Just reading the briefing on the first screen of that link seems to indicate that it's just links to web-based apps, and not something that's actually available off-line (could be my poor interpretation). If this is the case, then that's not like webOS and not what I'd necessarily want/need. Plus iOS (the operating system itself) is inferior to webOS too.
You're right. but although that is the general idea of WebApps, they do work as standalone apps offline as well. NSBasic has a development tool known as AppStudio that generate these type of apps. These can even be compiled to AppStore-approved apps later, with the use of a third-party tool called PhoneGap; but that would still require Apple's three musketeers: XCode, a developer license, and the AppStore.

Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

Ian Price

QuoteThese can even be compiled to AppStore-approved apps later, with the use of a third-party tool called PhoneGap; but that would still require Apple's three musketeers: XCode, a developer license, and the AppStore.
So in essence that is actually one step MORE than using GLB to compile an iOS app in the first place  :S

I think I'll stick with GLB  :D
I came. I saw. I played.