.app Directory

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Yes, finally I decided that when you make a program, there will be an ".app" directory in the project directory. The inner of the .app directory will be the default directory after a program start. That means, no change for any program except Mac OSX.
In this directory you will find the .exe and .linux and .whatever files. Also you should create a "media" directory there and loda data like: "LOADSPRITE "media/gfx.png"...".
This has 3 advantages:
-OSX/iPhone apps are as they should be
-you can zip the dirtibutable w/o the source with one click
-the project directory remains fresh and clean

Like it or not, it's your fate ;)
No, honestly - any protests?

Ian Price

No complaints here. :)

Anyway, according to T2, "There is no fate but what we make" Obviously, they never had GLBasic in mind at the time :P

So, will we be able to create icons for the .EXE without resorting to ResHacker now then ;)

I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Moru

Sounds great, I hate cluttering up my source directory :-)

Kitty Hello

exe icons. Oh dear. Yes, that's a very old problem and it should be solved once and for all. I'll provide a way to put a icon.png (64x64) in the project directory to be used for all platforms. It's a real shame I delayed that so often.

Neurox

QuoteI'll provide a way to put a icon.png (64x64) in the project directory to be used for all platforms.

It's a good news!

Neurox
Paolo Borzini | paolo@borzini.it
The WhiteFly Software | www.thewhitefly.it
Service on line for screen printers | www.4pellicole.it

Kitty Hello

The icon will be exctracted before compilation and put in the exe file on win32. For the other platforms, you usually just provide the icon as a seperate image.
If you want to make data in a shoebox, you can put it in the media directory and load from there with
SETSHOEBOX "media/data.sbx", ...
You can of course glue the shoebox to the binary as it has always been.
The functionality of GLBasic programs will not change. Only the place where they are created will.

Ian Price

QuoteThe icon will be exctracted before compilation and put in the exe file on win32. For the other platforms, you usually just provide the icon as a seperate image.

I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Should be quie useful

FutureCow

I have no problems with a .app directory, in fact I like having the final app and the source/project files separated. I would only suggest that how you use it gets documented both in the platform specific notes and in the general tutorials as well.

ie. I don't use a Mac so don't know anything about making apps for it, but if I read what you're saying correctly :-
* If I'm compiling for PC I can go into the .app directory and zip everything from there
* If I'm compiling for OSX/Iphone I zip and distribute the whole .app directory rather than going into it first

If my understanding is correct then that's what I'd like explained in the documentation.

Kitty Hello

Exaclty. I've also written a new chapter in the manual about this. You can also have an icon.png in your project directory now, and V7 will make it to whatever you need and make an icon for your distributed game then.

FutureCow

Any ballpark about when you currently think V7 will be out? (Awesome news!!!!)

Hark0

=D Gooooooooooooooooooooooooood!
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic