AquaVenture - new game for Dragonbox Coding Competion

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

bigsofty

Great game, very inventive use of logic with regards to the environment and how the different baddies move. The game design is what impresses me the most, very addictive and relaxing to play.

The style is great kinda like a NES+Gameboy Colour, very nice indeed!  :good:

Without looking too much into this gifthorses mouth, I do think it would sell very well on the various app stores Ian?
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Quote from: bigsofty on 2013-Feb-17
Without looking too much into this gifthorses mouth, I do think it would sell very well on the various app stores Ian?

I´d have no doubts about that, and many other games of his too.

I haven´t checked latest version as of yet...work till monday, then will take a closer look.
But I played a... cough,gasp... earlier build, but quite a complete one.

Gfx is top for me, really great stuff on low res.
I´m not much found of puzzles, but those with a bit more action, like LOLO (eagerland mistery) and this one game of Ian just perfectly fits the bill.
It is extremely well put together, and it is probably better with the intro and outro and so I will see.

On my beta analysis, I also found the speed in which the character moves (time he stays before moving again) something that could be slightly faster.
I see some people here and on other forums also share that view (ufa, it wasen´t just me the no-patience type :D).
I only felt that on a couple levels, and only when replaying.

Ian said it is there for a good reason, and as gamers, we all have our little things, also a lot of people didn´t think the same as me.

Overall a great experience, you sure got hold to a self style, as I stated on another post, I think that is really important for an artist.
I wonder/am eager to see how it develops further :good:

I will get back when I get to play the final later this week.
I´m sure it will bust my mind and my responsibilities like some of your games already did! :P

Wampus

AquaVenture is really a very good game. I'm enjoying playing this a lot. The whole package is put together so well.

Seeing stuff like this makes me love free game development.

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Just a quick note to say that GLBasic triumphs yet again  =D

AquaVenture won the DragonBox Coding Competition (Original Games category)

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12304-dragonbox-coding-competition-the-results/

What I love most about the win is that several Pandora forumites dissed GLBasic (and other BASICs) stating they weren't proper or capable languages. I didn't bother getting involved in the discussion (as I know better), but I know erico did.

So, Win, Win! :D
I came. I saw. I played.

Marmor

fuzzy70

Well done Ian & nice one  :booze:

I bet the Pandora forumites you mentioned have their noses out of joint now   :nana:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

matchy

'grats Ian.  :enc:

Interesting thread discussion over there and someone was complaining about the GLB license price. As I'd like one but the OpenPandora doesn't seem cheap enough (as if I were to casually compare it to a RPi with peripherals).

erico

Quote from: Ian Price on 2013-Mar-09
Just a quick note to say that GLBasic triumphs yet again  =D

AquaVenture won the DragonBox Coding Competition (Original Games category)

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12304-dragonbox-coding-competition-the-results/

What I love most about the win is that several Pandora forumites dissed GLBasic (and other BASICs) stating they weren't proper or capable languages. I didn't bother getting involved in the discussion (as I know better), but I know erico did.

So, Win, Win! :D

Super congratulations on the feat, I had no doubt you would win, just look at the quality of Aquaventura! :enc:

Yeah I tried to help the original poster about ´coding for beguinner' there sharing my experience.
It is ridiculous how people come around in a very offensive and disrespective way calling people mad or historian :P

It really puts one down towards that community.
But there is a bright side! It makes this one community even so superbly cool :D

Again, congratulations Ian! :good:

Ian Price

Cheers chaps :)

It just proves that -

a) GLBasic is perfectly capable of doing anything that any other language can (and quickly)
b) Any language is only as good as the person using it
c) With a good idea and motivation you can achieve good things
d) We know a good thing when we see it :)

:)
I came. I saw. I played.

Moru

Grats! Not that there was ever any question who would win that class... :-)

Wampus

I see you came first in both the community voting and the jury voting as well as your game Frootopia also making it into the winners. Hahah, good going. :)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

BdR

I just now played the Flee, Fish, Flee!, it's cool but a little easy and I finished it in about 10min. So it was a great idea elaborate the game a little more and add more levels etc. :good:

I tried your PC version and I think there's a bug in level "Depth 4m" when you do from the start Down, Down, Right, Right, Down, Down, Right, Right, Right, Down, Right, Right. With the last move to the right the squid will move ontop of the sponge, I mean they're both in the same location. :doubt:

And another minor thing, I really like the cliché 8bit kidnapped princess intro, however you don't get to see the bad guy, only a yellow submarine. I think it would add a little more personallity to the game to add an evil marine biologist doctor or something. :D I mean look at the intros of many many 8bit games like Ghost n Goblins, Adventure Island, Popils, Castle of Illusion, Lolo, etc. you always see the bad guy.