Catch Out (Another new game)

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

This is my 4th glbasic game, this time its a more or less a smaller project than the previous 3 game:

Catch Out

Screenshots:

This game is some sort of a "Breakout" clone, using Fairchild Channel F resolution (hence its lowres chuncy game). But instead you control the bat, you can move all bricks (except those solid once). Also one the same color bricks can been destroyed by the same color ball. There is a timer on the game, so you can get a "miss", if you are too slow to destroy a brick.

By now im have designed 41 levels, include few help based levels (the first of them). The goal is about 48 levels.

Im hope could release the game allready this year since most of the game is done. Only missing Fairchild/Atari 2600 style coverart, some sound and more levels and polish tweeks.

If The game got home ports....

Here is what Spectrum version could look something like (with its limits and resolution in mind):

Here is what Commodore 64 version could look something like (with its limits and resolution in mind):

On Fairchild Channel F, some details and pace would been sligtly changed of course, but gameplay keeps in mind.

The game have slow/normal speed mode as well 4 palette to choice from. One of the mode also uses full chunky mode, include balls and bricks.

PS. Im annonced this game in the bonus section, and rather to move that thread, im instead created a new thread here.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

42 levels so far, that is the miniium wanted levels, this one:

Im also plans this game to been free (this game was made with fun in mind), which means im can release this game to been more platforms:
Windows, MacOSx, iOS, Android and a possible Ouya version.

Howover Pandora and other minor platforms is also possible to.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

Looking forward to seeing this in action :)

I'd be happy to test and give feedback for the Pandora version if required.
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

erico

nice...looks quite atarish!

spacefractal

haha, im love that! Actuelly its was fully intended =D. Actuelly the coverart was made around a Atari 2600 box art, and Kasper suddently got a idea. Even its a atarish, its could also used on a Fairchild F as well.

But the iOS icon would been something like that as well, which also is MUCH better than that icon im did have before.

The background is still not finished and is property full of spelling. Nice if you could look on that (text only).

Ian Price

Awesome box-art :D

There are a couple of English grammar issues in the blurb, but it's still ace :)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

"Catchout is a simple "breakout" puzzle game based on an old classic."
"The twist is that you don´t control the paddle but you push and pull bricks around to try lead the balls toward them."

This is what I think is ok, but english is not my native language (glbasic is my native language :booze:) so it would be better if someone else also check it
There is probably a way better style to phrase what you need then this.

If you would like a 3d rendered cartridge with Kaspe´art to use as icon, let me know. :good:

spacefractal

breakout is a copyrighted word by Atari, and they in 2008 have seen take down some clones here, which is why im not want to uses "break out". More often use is "ball & paddle" me thinks.

Proprety doing that as a icon can been a very much to been small when both is combo, and its was orignally thinked as a Fairchild game.

So its would been funnier to uses a cartridge from that game console (Search for fairchild channel f cartridges on Google), since they are yellow. Howover its would fun to see them both. Howover in this game you uses touchscreen to move them, not possible on both consoles. But with a game controller im would let all bricks moved by either in row or col for easier gamepad controling or just uses a cursor as seen in the both 8 bits screenshots.

If you still uses dropbox and the shared folder, you can checkout the bigger versions of the image.

Also with this edit, im have just updated the previous coverart. Im do hope the text around it is better. Im do now the "slide" in the first screen is a bit wrong. Its more text that is not in the screenshot...

erico

I see, ball & paddle sure sounds better.

Firchild cartridges, the yellow one, I just searched.
They are uncommon in brazil, I think I have never seen one.

Atari cartridges might hit more people nostalgia way and the cartridge is not copyright ;)
Or am I wrong here and fairchield had a great market everywhere but around here?

Text sounds better now on the edit.
I disaprove of the picture of the console, pictures were not possible at that time but illustrations, is there an illustration of the console that could be used instead?
It feels it breaks the art style. :rant:

hehe just some opinion,
I still see the cocoII palette on the 3rd screen shot, nice!

erico

hmm, reading a bit more about Channel F, very interesting.

The coco pallete would be like these.
The first one if closer to what you already have, there is where I found them related.

spacefractal

I'm remove the picture eventually, no problems at all. IM would just telling this was a retro game and not all known what fair child game console really was. It's was the only reason. I m can do a version without the picture. Also I'm newer owned that console as well, but fun to do that through.

Im have updated the coverart again, and also changed the screenshots as well. Two set of screenshots using Fairchild F palette, and two with a original standard palette, Kasper choiced freely.

The game settings can let user choice 4 palette: "Aqua Blue", "Fairchild", "Plain Simple" and "One Color". Im have still not done the palette editor, but not sure im will do that in the first version. Only "Fairchild" is based on a regular computer palette, rest is not.

Im is not sure which resolution CoCo used, and then can do a mock for fun in the same way im did with Spectrum and C64 versions designed with thier limits in mind.

EDIT:
After im checking about CoCo screen modes, its look like this game should uses Semigraphics 4 mode, not a full bitmap mode.

spacefractal

There was 4 palettes to been choice from, but is now only want to uses the two of them. The third one is "You colors" (something have a better name on max 11 letters?), which can been edited.

Mightbeen something like this, hehe:

Moru

Moru

Try to stay away from the quote-character unless you are quoting someone that said something. Also don't call your own stuff "simple", gives a simple ring to it :-)

The word "a" needs to be "an" if the next word starts with a vowel sound. (Not vowel character, has to be the sound).

QuoteA Fairchild F retro style game with
a Push & Pull twist on an old classic.

CatchOut is a ball & paddle-game but there is no paddle.

But you do not control any paddle in this game,
you have to push and pull bricks to lead the ball.

or a slightly changed erico version:

QuoteCatchout is a ball & paddle puzzle game based on an old classic.
The twist is that you don´t control the paddle but you push and pull bricks around trying to lead the balls towards them.