Android Studio - What happens with me and in future....

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

UPDATE:
the newest Android Studio 3.5.1 works very fine (but you might let it need to update the grandle, but should do it fine)! There is some more bugs with Android 5.0 throught (SDL Audio also might not work anymore, which can been disabled), but has not seen issues from Android 6. This can also just been a emulation issue. Not checked on a device.

Im have not Not heard any trouble with Android 6.0, but if its does, let me know of course.

To been clear:
Android 5 is very hard to get working in Android Studio and will currectly not to to get it working again as threre too many issues. So please do NOT ask me about Android 5.0 issues as im will skip it. If its should fixed, im/Gernot will let you know!

So API23 is required as minimum with Glbasic and Android Studio!

ORIGINAL:

First at all: Sorry to all (include Gernot), if im have been aggreisve or frustated!

Even im finally uninstalled AS under by rage and frustation, im will try again after some days with a very fresh install. So dont worry.

But first at all im wlll NOT recommened to use Android Studio 3.5 as Google have choosen not to write how to update the grandle files as they would been totally broken and no longer work (why those hard coded version numbers, diddent make sense if they can breaks). But im do seen AS 3.4 does works nicely with the newest SDK, so you would still could release on Google Play at least. This is the  matter anyway.

Here is the place you can manually download Android Studio Version 3.4 (or version 3.4.1):
https://developer.android.com/studio/archive

IM will NO LONGER support Android Version 5 and down:
Android Studio have broken it, that it and im fighted too long time on it, and Android 5 is now really old now. So im will no longer support it (only if Gernot can fix the file access issues). Im will require API 23 or higher (as im did do seen that version worked fine).

What about API 22 and down?
We could actuelly just include the current version we did for Android SDK really. Im do not sure its still allowered and how multiple apks works. No idea actuelly.

Why did im delete threads?
im should not do that, so sorry, was just by frustation (was my own throught). Im do have those issues in mind and will update in the weeked or next week. Dont worry. its was nowhere the jpg issue, which is not present on Android 6+ anyway as well the other issue was also not present too. Im do thinks im did send those to Gernot, so he might have implmeented and updated it. so im have still have the files.

Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

SnooPI

I haven't followed the whole story, but I understand your frustration. IOS and Android are boring me a lot right now :sick:
I put aside mobile development because of that.

You have my support Spacefractal.

spacefractal

Im do have reinstalled 3.4.1 in this morning, complete fresh install, so im will recheck again, but still first  checking think later this week. Sometimes its just best that way  ;).

But its does seen Android 6.0 has about 60%+ of Google Play users while Android 5.0+ has about just more than 80% of users. just to info, so if Gernot could fix the file acces issue with Android 5, that would been cool, but im wont do the mill again until then.

We do need to  do a very different grandle strategy so we safely can update in the future (there is about 5 configuration files). but its not important right now.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

But as Google play does support multiple apk in same app, I'm will checking if the old Android sdk is still possible to use for platforms 22 and below and then use Android studio for platforms 23 and above. That would been very great!

erico

Totally understood, it truly sucks the way they keep changing stuff all the time.
Still, it is nice job you did so far and that and the 3.4 version working is great! :good:

I will try to step into the android back again soon, just didn´t have the time yet.

spacefractal

Im do consider to checking how multiple google play APKS works.

Then we can use Android SDK (the old one) for Api 16 (Android 4.1)-22 (Android 5.1) and Android Studio with Api 23 (Android 6.0) and up. This should been possible to support most kind of devices, even im will no longer support Android Extras on old devices of course, but they would could run on them.

MrPlow

Hi SF,

That seems to be very awkward compiling 2 different setups. Maybe Gernot has a fix for the API 21/22 issues?
It can't just be that Android Studio causes this - otherwise the error would be popping up on many other forums.
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

can been securiy reasons or in fact using by a newer compiler. This also happens on iOS too. We havent change the code here at all since, so its the extract same code here. Its wont even copy the files from the CopyAssests Java part for some odd reasons.

spacefractal

To been clear:
Android 5 is very hard to get working in Android Studio and will currectly not to to get it working again as threre too many issues. So please do NOT ask me about Android 5.0 issues as im will skip it and delete them in the future. If its should beenfixed, im/Gernot will let you know.

But if there is some issues in Android 6+ etc, let me know of course. Android is strange beast, so there is allways some issues.

So API23 (Android 6.0+) is required as minimum with Glbasic and Android Studio!

MrPlow

Hi SF

Can you tell me roughtly the KEY maps for the Gamecontroller for Android?
Is it documented somewhere or do I need to loop through each one with a code routine?

Thks
Comp:

Moru

Why not make the controls remappable? I think there were some code around for that on the forums. It's always nice if you can remap the controls to something that works better for you, or if one has some controller or keyboard that you didn't think of when you made the game.

MrPlow

I know, you're right it would be better, but I can see the bad reviews coming in if they have to choose the keymappings before playing.
A lot of Players have little patience on mobile.

If I have the most likely controllers mapped first, I could then maybe do a remap option later on.

Comp:

spacefractal

Im auto remapped few controllers which works out of box with the JOY commands (also routed to KEY() as well), but you can also require to add the remapping feature using KEY(), if you want to support most different controllers out here.

Im must admist: Im HATE that shitty system on Android and was newer designed with gamecontrollers in mind and no where to tell how a android controller should remap to. Its a Area IOS was much much better on.

The major issue is the right stick and triggers often conflict with various controllers and there is no defaults how they mappen. Yes, Google have choosen one, but you cant garantee they follow it at all.

btw howover, If you only uses the face 4 buttons and one stick (using both dpad and stick as same control), then most major controllers do should works out of the box. but make sure to also checking the hat as well. But im can not even garantee it at all, but this is most default im do have seen.

This is why, remapping is VERY important on android! People that does negative review due this, you cant do anything with it. This is just how game controllers works on Android: They are threated as a KEYBOARD!

For remapping, just use the KEY() command, but howover you can not do that for multiple players yet. Also some gamecontrollers might return two values, use the lowerst based one (or both).

PS. A PS4 controller do fellows the Google Standard, so you can use that as the default mapping. Im do cant remember all KEY() values, but you can see on the source code.

MrPlow

Great - thanks for this SF!

So the key code might be in the source code :D
Comp: