Glbasic on Steam? :-)

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Its been something that GLBasic has needed to be for a long time, really...

spacefractal

Would been much easier to update. Gernot can do that with his account, but if he don't mind I'm can work with him to try Greenlight it using my account (I'm can easy add Gernot as admin from his username as well).

Since glbasic users make app.exe or similar. We can drm those files to control which platform people have bought and sell glbasic as each platform wise or full packages (us that Allready have it would use full packages).

Updates would also handle quite automatically for the users. Setup take some time, but when done it's more easier after that.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

Quote from: spacefractal on 2016-Jun-08
Mightbeen glbasic could been try to green light on steam as a tool. I'm also seen other languages as well? Then we don't need the license system any more, but using the steam drm on the exe its self.

Could Been nice. I'm got lucky to get a publisher for both games on steam, so they got green lighted quite fast.

Cool! Did a publisher contact you before or after you submitted to steam?
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

After. A indie one from France.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

spacefractal

But still not too late. I'm happy to help with a Gernot Eventuelly.

Source code could also been released the way too, because we can use drm for the exe files and tools used. We can have a bit more control with steam drm. But not important or course right now.

erico

...and that doesn´t stop Gernot from selling by him self either, we just would have to support the community over steam, which is a bit of work but possible none the less.
We also would have to push a page there, and the best selling point on a creating tool, on the minds of the average joe, would be its games. We would have to gather all nice games done with it to showcase it.

It is an idea to give lots of thoughts.

spacefractal

Trading cards is not required. It's only optional. However they do have work shop etc, but hence we do can add news and updates there, show case of glbasic games, and links on the forum (something like the glbasic front page).

I'm do have seen programming languages to steam (AppGameKit). I'm just thinks updates been easier and using thier service.

Gernot dedicate of course. I'm can help before I'm in behind now and checked thing works. Im will do not talk about technical behind steam here. Only public thing.

Kitty Hello

Sounds like a plan. I'm full of work through juli, though. But if you'd help me, it would be cool....

MrTAToad

What might be an idea is to have Windows/Mac and Linux as the base program and the other platforms as purchasable extras.

In addition, it may be worth starting the upgrade where possible to SDL2 - I can see people complaining that the system doesnt use the latest version and so forth...  Let me know if you want the Triority source again - it may save you some time  :whistle:

In addition, the IDE will need to be updated somewhat - if the Linux and/or Mac version is viable (and usable) that would be a definite plus (would stop complaints about not being usable on those platforms  :) )

spacefractal

Its property not possible, due we use a lots of 3th party compilers and tools, which might not been exists to other platforms. Howover those platforms could been limited to example iOS and Mac platforms on Mac, due they require setup xCode anyway and could been easier. BlitzMax tools im did can also compile on Mac.

But im do see the old time limited system to been gone (which is very easy to hack, when you have released the glbasic source code anyway), but with steam DRM, its would been secure again. Howover we do might require to resends cd-keys to steam.

bigsofty

Sounds great, this would definitely attract a new audience from the steam users IMHO.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

One thing that may be advisable (and is more to do with helping debug the GLBasic source), is convert the parameters needed for PLATFORMINFO$ into a numeric list.

Whilst it would break every program that uses it, there are a few advantages : Parameter validation would be automatic and no need for string comparisons (and so switch statements could be used).  A set of #CONSTANTS would be needed for GLBasic, but that would be simple to define/implement.  The same sort of thing goes for MOUSEAXIS too...

spacefractal

No changes that breaking things. Many use it quite heavy, so not possible to do such a command breaking change. It's also not a heavy used command either.

MrTAToad

I thought I was the only one that used to use PLATFORMINFO$ :)

bigsofty

I don't see parameters as strings being a problem personally, as it's mainly used in the initialisation of your game not in real-time gameloop code.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)