I bought a Windows Phone Device :O

Previous topic - Next topic

kanonet

Seriously? Windows phone has such a small market share and may even get abandoned by MS in future; it would need a huge change in GLBasic core, while Gernot only has small amounts of time for all GLBasic related development - and you ask for support for this platform? Sometimes I cant understand peoples priorities...
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

S.O.P.M.

This could be exactly my own words! I fully agree. Thank you! WP support for GLBasic is nonsense and I'm sure we don't have to fear, Gernot will break his leg thereon.
Notebook PC Samsung E372 Core i5 @ 2,6 GHz; 4 GB RAM; Win 7 Home Premium

dreamerman

I also have Lumia 520, but I'm more critical about it. Windows Phone have some issues, that makes this system less mature than competitors.
First release of WP8 didn't support radio, this feature was added in on of first updates, before WP8.1 volume control was combined (ringtones + multimedia as one), in WP8.1 that was finally changed, there are also other known problems e.g. MMS sending without enabling data-packages (this may vary from country/operator), and so on..

But as we know M$ bought Nokia, and all signs on earth shows that it will support this system - Windows Phone for a long time.
Some results of the acquisition: since 1 January 2014 Symbian S60 apps can't be updated on Nokia Store, only Symbian S40 (Asha series) app are still supported, some Sybmian S60 services are being closed, Nokia will not develop S60 phones, only S40 (Asha series) on emerging markets, no further other system base phones - Nokia X was made/designed when terms weren't in force.

Windows Phone 8.1 support hardware accelerated canvas element in html5, with full? WebGL support, this may be usefully for us, when GLB export to html5/webgl will be done. Still if I read correctly, desktop Win8 is required to compile with VS for WP8.1? :/
And it's not about how huge share particular system has, but how much $ you get get from it, therefore WP as additional system (even through html5) would be great.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

MrTAToad

The main advantage with Windows Phone is it is currently small, so anything you do is bound to get noticed - this was great with webOS.

It would also be a small step to having a Windows App as well, which would then reach Windows Surface users.

Unfortunately, whilst there is SDL2 available for the Phone, its still in beta stage at the moment.

Ian Price

Quote from: TheMapChap on 2014-Oct-07
so anything you do is bound to get noticed - this was great with webOS.

If only that were true. Unfortunately it isn't. It also isn't true of OUYA, GameStick or ANY minor markets.
I came. I saw. I played.

S.O.P.M.

I've a special question to the operation of the standard music player in Windows Phone 8.1! My father would like to use it but we weren't able to get the saved files appear. I read it's possible to playback .wav files and as a classical music fan my father needs perfect audio quality. Can anyone confirm that .wav files are supported in WP 8.1? The way to copy the music files to the SD card in the music folder is right? The instruction file from microsoft says that but why weren't any files in the music app?

MrTAToad

Yes, WAV works.

Have you installed the Files app ?  You may need to use that rather than Music to find (and play) WAV files as they may not show in Music

MrTAToad

Quote from: Ian Price on 2014-Oct-07
Quote from: TheMapChap on 2014-Oct-07
so anything you do is bound to get noticed - this was great with webOS.

If only that were true. Unfortunately it isn't. It also isn't true of OUYA, GameStick or ANY minor markets.
Oh I dont know - Spots! had a pretty good response - far better than Android.

S.O.P.M.

QuoteYes, WAV works.

Have you installed the Files app ?  You may need to use that rather than Music to find (and play) WAV files as they may not show in Music
Oh, good. I understand not quite right... you mean, I need a kind of file manager to browse that music files directly and then select it to play? Hm, this is a solution but I as a user would expect that the music app is able to find it automatically. At least it should be possible to add these files once and have them in a playlist.

MrTAToad

It looks like the standard Music player cant find/player WAV, though doing it through Find is no problem...  I presume WAV's aren't treated as songs :)

mentalthink

Changing the platform and I can say it's a very good phone, it's the "Doogee Valencia" , ok it's a Chinesse phone but really it's a monster for only 90E + or - , this in DX in example , the problem of buy phones in this shops it's the guarantee , you only have one year, in your country perhaps find this kind of phones a bit more expensive, but not too much.

I think Chinnese mobiles it's a market to keep looking , in example in Spain a lot of Android devices are Chinesse, really they do a very good work and some devices are more powerfull than a Galaxy or practically are the same for the half or minus price.

About this I can say it's a good phone, very very quick and the screen it's a bit great, but not the new mode of the phablets, seems you have in the pocket a TV.

Turning again to Microsoft phone, it's a nice phone for the price... The S.O rebenber me a bit to Pam Pres system , I think a good point it's how you free the memory of app, in iPhone and Android it's too much complex if you don't use some app. But in comparation with the actual devices really it's a little charactestics device.

TI-994A

Quote from: Ian Price on 2014-Oct-07...It also isn't true of OUYA, GameStick or ANY minor markets.

Good reasoning; drawing a comparison between a behemoth like Microsoft, with year-old, crowd-funded start-ups.  :D
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

Moru

Looking at market coverage, why not?  =D

After burning my first chinese surfpad knockoff (yes, BURNED) I don't dare to buy the cheap china-stuff any more. Killed the fuses in the house but nothing more luckily.

Tip: Make sure stuff has the C E branding. Note the space between the C and the E. Ours had the two letters next to each other which means China Export believe it or not...

TI-994A

Quote from: mentalthink on 2014-Oct-08...it's the "Doogee Valencia" , ok it's a Chinesse phone but really it's a monster for only 90E + or -...

Technically speaking, almost all mobile phones are manufactured in China. But while some China brands are already market leaders, like HTC, others are gaining quite formidably. Here's the Doogee you mentioned, along with Oppo and OnePlus, both of which have received rave reviews, achieving scores at par on even higher than the big names. Oppo has even developed its own UI over Android, known as the ColorOS, while the OnePlus 1 uses the well-known CyanogenMod. Seriously impressive.

Engadget Review of Oppo's Find 7

Engadget's Review of the OnePlus 1
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too!

S.O.P.M.

Quote from: TheMapChapIt looks like the standard Music player cant find/player WAV, though doing it through Find is no problem...  I presume WAV's aren't treated as songs :)
Then I'll consider to try lossless WMA!