The limits of GL Basic

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyB

Do you think GLBasic can handle large RTS game real-time logic and AI like "Supreme Commander"?

Yes, I know the obvious answer is that it depends on skill of the programmer.  :D

In other words, how does GLBasic compare to C# Monogame, Unity, Libgdx, whatever... Not talking about C/C++, Rust and the like. It's obviously much faster than AGK (that is only interpreted and not very efficently it seems).

SnooPI

With INLINE functions there is no real limit to GLBasic.

By cons, if you don't use INLINE, you will be a little more limited (especially in 3D), but you will be sure that your code is 100% portable.

Without INLINE functions, with a lot of work and talent, you can make a "Warcraft 2" with GLB, to make a "Supreme Commander", you will have problems with 3D (but it is not impossible, you will probably a retro rendering but that may please many people).

In summary, with or without, you will have no limit for a good game logic in real time and therefore a good AI (only the limit of your work and your talent).
For all that is calculation, once compiled, GLBasic is really fast (unlike the AGK-Basic which is interpreted and poorly optimized).

JohnnyB

3D isn't really my goal, I prefer 2D most of the time. :)

I did a "quick and dirty" RTS prototype in some languages, in C#/XNA which ran pretty well, but in Monkey-X it already wasn't as smooth (again, I thought since this is also compiled in C++ it wouldn't) and my attempts in AGK were just not playable.

Thanks.

SnooPI

I have always wanted to do a RTS and I too had made a prototype (a long time ago), so if you need help to solve a particular problem, don't hesitate to ask JohnnyB.