Software for good Pixel Art from Images and Videos

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

https://kronbits.itch.io/pixatool

Hi guys I found this web , they have a 3 soft for Pixel Art, the first convert images to 8 Bits palletes, like C64 ,CPC and so on, very easy and with very good quality, perhaps for people don't know how do grphics, can use 3d Renders and convert to 2d Pixel Art(I'm thinking to buy, not is too much expensive, about 25€)

And have another 2 tools for fx with pixel Art. If you interested take a look in youtube, have more videos very nices.

bigsofty

Looks good, thanks for the heads up Mentalthink. :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

SnooPI

Perfect for a retro 2D game  :good:
But I don' t see too much interest in 3D O_O Even for a retro 3D game (but I'm wrong maybe).

Thanks Mentalthink.

mentalthink

Thanks guys, no Snnopy I wanna say , use renders from a 3d suite and do "pixel Art" automatically with this tool... Imagine : get Poser or MakeHuman, animate in Blender or any 3d suite, launch renders for do the sprites and then use this tool for do pixel art.

SnooPI

Yes of course. In fact, I was thinking about textures, there isn't really any interest.
By cons you're right, it's very interesting to convert a 3D rendering in pixel art, like this beautiful example in Blender :

SnooPI

dreamerman

I saw that tool (pixatool), played a little with demo, and in this form in my opinion it's mostly for textures, static images and some artworks, better solution would be this Blender plugin/shader as it looks closer to real pixel-art. But thinking about real pixel-art for games I rather think about 32x32 tileset, or 64x32 character or something little larger and to getting readable and nice looking sprite with this tools could be hard to achieve, as they prefer larger image outputs, something that would fit as cover, menu background, character portraits... On other hand they would do great job in full-hd/4k pseudo pixel-art games so of course there is a field to show off for them. Best example for pixatool would be some wolf3d clone, this app could be use to do 'create' all textures.
Check my source code editor for GLBasic - link Update: 20.04.2020

erico

It is possible to output low res pixel art from 3d, you just need some clean up work after that.
It is a very useful technique that can give you some free base perspective draw which is hard to achieve by hand.
As an example, there is this tricicle from the avocado game I rendered in 3d so to get the bike turning around.
The leaves were also 3d rendered as particles made of 3 handmade pixel art leaves, otherwise it would take ages to animate the wind blowing.

dreamerman

Ah my bad, forgot about Your project, it's excellent example of what you can achieve from such kind of tools with as You said additional work like cleaning and so on. In previous post I should rather say that such tools wont give perfect pixel-art out-of-box, but with additional work, still both those great examples shows 3d software that's exporting to pixel sprite, pixatool takes only 2d images so have limited abilities. I saw what it can do in some pixel detective game, but those two examples from 3d modeling apps looks much better in my opinion.
My conclusion is that even such tool as pixatool won't help me as I just can't draw or make nice 3d models :D

SnooPI

erico

Hijacking the thread, I made a few 3d->2d tests to easy up some sprite creations, I´m not sure I like it so far but it has its charm.
This is raw 3d, I don´t know, it feels a bit minecrafty and mechanic.
I tried to go for the Vigilant arcade sprite look.The border can be worked out better and so the animation and posing.

SnooPI

It's a good start I think.
I look forward to see the rest.

MrPlow

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

dreamerman

Looks good, and would fit nicely game with similar style, yet it would benefit from additional hand made shading or some tweaks in exporting to 2d to get more colors.