iPhone OS 4.0: New License closing doors to GLBasic?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

The way I see it is if Apple block GLBasic written apps then I have 2 choices, learn objective C or stop writing stuff on the iPhone and Apple lose a tiny developer. Objective C is not a problem, their stupid interface builder is my main stumbling block. Im a "give a graphic an x,y location and smack it on the screen" programmer (any video stuff i have done in the past in C has been like this and makes conversions much easier). I dont want to link objects to an interface builder. I want to hit the screen direct like GLBasic does.

I have just about covered my cost of the GL licence, and the apple dev licence, not covered the cost of the mac mini but it gives me a nice portable(ish) computer and a very good programming language I can knock up quick test programs in (and of course there is the GP2x option for my own handheld stuff). And I would imagine that those of us who have produced commercial software have covered a fair bit of our costs as it doesnt matter what you try to sell on the app store, someone will buy it :)

Kitty, Is an android build option in the offering? there is our back up plan should Apple turn round as say thanks but no thanks

bigsofty

Quote from: codegit on 2010-Apr-14
I agree, one of the reasons I stay away from the Blitz forums is that its mostly people shouting at each other. The GLBASIC forums dont have this type of degenerate person, it would be HORRIBLE if we started having these problems. Please moderators stop this from happening.  :'(

+1 in agreement!
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kuron

Debating and arguing are two different critters.  I think all here have stuck with debating, which is quite refreshing considering the debate is about a company that nobody appears to like, just varying reasons for the dislike  ;)

Quote from: Gary_Leeds on 2010-Apr-14Kitty, Is an android build option in the offering? there is our back up plan should Apple turn round as say thanks but no thanks
Their requirements for the Android Market are so simple by comparison:

If you plan to publish your application on Android Market, you must make sure that it meets the requirements listed below, which are enforced by the Market server when you upload the application.

Requirements enforced by the Android Market server:
Your application must be signed with a cryptographic private key whose validity period ends after 22 October 2033.
Your application must define both an android:versionCode and an android:versionName attribute in the <manifest> element of its manifest. The server uses the android:versionCode as the basis for identifying the application internally and handling updates, and it displays the android:versionName to users as the application's version.
Your application must define both an android:icon and an android:label attribute in the <application> element of its manifest.

Personally, I am hoping Gernot can find a way to get GLB games on Chrome OS  =D

mykyl66

Unlike a few folks I actually DO prefer Osx to windows. :). I have used pc's since the late 80's and windows regularly since v 3. About 2 years ago I decided to try out Osx and bought a laptop from Apple and well I never looked back. My pc was dumped in the junk room and I bought my dad and myself an imac each.

I have windows xp in vmware fusion for those apps I don't have mac version for. GlBasic, Xara and Curvy 3d are the only apps I need windows for.

So although I dont like certain things to do with Apple there OS I would not live without now.

Mike R

bigsofty

Quote from: mykyl66 on 2010-Apr-14
Unlike a few folks I actually DO prefer Osx to windows. :). I have used pc's since the late 80's and windows regularly since v 3. About 2 years ago I decided to try out Osx and bought a laptop from Apple and well I never looked back. My pc was dumped in the junk room and I bought my dad and myself an imac each.

I have windows xp in vmware fusion for those apps I don't have mac version for. GlBasic, Xara and Curvy 3d are the only apps I need windows for.

So although I dont like certain things to do with Apple there OS I would not live without now.

Mike R

Totally agree, OSX was a very pleasant surprise, even though I did not like the way I acquired my Mac, the O.S. is a joy to behold.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Hark0

+1

I'm are "found" the OsX now... for last 3 weeks.

I have old experience in computers since 80's....

:good:
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Kuron

Quote from: mykyl66 on 2010-Apr-14So although I dont like certain things to do with Apple there OS I would not live without now
I just wish you could get the OS (legally) without the pricey Apple hardware (which is where my issues with Apple are).

Scott_AW

Don't know why they don't sell their OS to PC users now that Apple has been using Intel processors for X amount of years.  Apple is a funny beast.
Current Project, Orbital Contract Defense
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/code-name-ocd/9887/

BlackShadow now open source/resource(requires duke3d)
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/black-shadow-3d/9885/

Kuron

Quote from: Scott_AW on 2010-Apr-15
Don't know why they don't sell their OS to PC users now that Apple has been using Intel processors for X amount of years.  Apple is a funny beast.
I have never bought the "hardware issue" reason for them not doing it.  Motherboards aside, any hardware I buy, even some specialty hardware for music recording/production comes with drivers for OS X.  The motherboard issues would disappear overnight, because the manufacturers would jump at the chance to turn out OS X compliant motherboards.  Apple could never replace Windows in the business sector, but for the home market if OS X was released for all PCs, Windows would be in a world of hurt within three years and would lose the home market lead within five years.

My beef with Apple is many years ago, I had saved up for almost two years for a Macbook, right before or right around the time the iPod first came out.  They were still PPC back then, unfortunately, they had major issues with the logic (mother) board design.  They had to replace the logic board three times, and the fourth time they wanted me to pay to replace it.  I look at it that I paid $12000 for a 30GB Toshiba HD, as that is all I was every able to use from the system.  As a disabled vet, money is extremely hard to come by and to waste it on something that doesnt work is depressing.  It is even worse when it was a known issue at the time and Apple would not stand behind their products and give you a different model that didn't have the flaw in the motherboard, instead Apple just kept replacing the flawed logic board with a new flawed logic board that would work for a couple of months just to wait out the warranty so they didn't have to deal with it anymore.

Just when I think I might give Apple a try again, they do like they did with the last round of releases of iMacs and they were shipping with cracked, shattered and broken screens and taking months to fix them when they were brought in for repair.

I can see myself maybe buying a Mac Mini in the future, but by the time you pay for the memory upgrade, you could buy a very nice PC (including monitor) that would be more powerful and throw a *nix dist on it.

Ian Price

QuoteDon't know why they don't sell their OS to PC users now that Apple has been using Intel processors for X amount of years.  Apple is a funny beast.
But who would buy a Mac then?

But I do agree. The more OS options available to pc users, the less dominant Microsoft will become.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kuron

If the leaked photos of the new 4th gen iPhone are legitimate, people should be applauding the ToS changes.  Apple may be doing Adobe a favor on this one.  I normally think Apple products are nice looking, but these photos are not appealing (and not just because of the poor image quality) to me.  If I has an iPhone, I would definitely be skipping the 4th gen and waiting for the 5th gen, even if it meant going to a competing product for the duration of the wait period. 

mentalthink

HI there,
I write this lines because, from Unity 3D another platform for developement on Iphone I received this cooments:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/author/david/

They comment what in his case look well the continuty of developement whit unity 3D, but my question is?Ã,¿

If Unity, what I think in more big than GLbasic(in enterprises terms!!!, not because UNity is best than Glbasic, or inverse, they are very different), have troubles whit the new Iphone OS, Glbasic will be equal?Ã,¿.

WeÃ,´ll be wait a little time, I hope what GLbasic donÃ,´t have any trouble whit this stupid action of Apple.

Note: In the mail heÃ,´s comment what his users donÃ,´t have trobles uploading applications.

Best Regards.