almost installed something bad

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

my hands are shivering, I bathe in cold sweat.

I got an email from facebook, that someone wants to be my friend. I klicked on "see all your friend requests" to check it out and got to a page that looked like facebook but said: "Your flash player is out dated. Please klick here to download the latest version".
I was like "huh? I'm always up to date. Then gooled for "flash player" and downloaded the right setup. While it loaded my mind woke up: CHECK THE DOMAIN. Of course it was _not_ facebook.

The bad thing is - I already clicked the link. My mail will be spammed like crazy now, I fear.

Note to self and hint for all of you: NEVER click a link in an email.
-Facebook/G+/Twitter? Go to the website, you'll find the exact information there, too.
-Interesting artice? Copy the domain, search for the link.
-Bargain link? Check the exact domain (we're coders, we know how to do).
-NEVER, NEVER read mails in HTML. Plain text all the way.

bigsofty

Happend to me via the old Blitz web site a couple of weeks back. By default, originally, all forum user email addreses were public. Some asshole phisher extracted all the emails from the forum, I have been bombarded bymultipke email phishing attempts attempts since then, bank passwords, tax returns etc... All very legit looking and very nasty.

My advice is spam filter like mad. Strangely, you can mark a phishing website in firefox and report it but in gmail you can't with an email?

Never make you email public in any forum account either.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)