REVIEW C64

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Well I review of the mitic and awesome C64.

Enjoy, I be sure too much people here beggins whit this magnific Computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmnlkLc1Foc&feature=player_embedded

Yodaman Jer

Haha, this is fun to watch. :D

I enjoy watching old videos of old computers. "This thing's got 64KB of memory, that's enough for most programs!".

Thanks for posting!
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

fuzzy70

Took me ages to get a C64 thanks to the price of it, eventually got a 2nd hand one as no way would my pocket money stretch to a new one (or my parents money either).

I progressed from a ZX80, ZX81 then a ZX Spectrum then it gets a bit Hazy as others included (in no particular order) a Memotech MTX512, Toshiba MSX, Sharp MZ80K, Jupiter ACE,  Atari (think it was a 130XL or something), BBC model B, Dragon32 & an Oric Atmos.

Wish I had kept them all but the sale of one helped fund the next :)
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Hatonastick

What, no Amstrad CPC?!?  O_O  The one, the only, the best 8-bit machines of them all!

Ok maybe not, but I liked them.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).

fuzzy70

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2011-Oct-24
What, no Amstrad CPC?!?  O_O  The one, the only, the best 8-bit machines of them all!

Ok maybe not, but I liked them.

Funnily enough no, I have no idea why I never had a Amstrad CPC. Might have been that I was saving up like mad to get a BBC micro for my school project & computing exam, think my bedroom was bigger than the computing room at my school lol & getting a spare BBC to use was not easy  :'(
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

Nathan

I had a BBC Model B, took ages to get one also, mostly because they were outrageously expensive.  I think in the end we paid £400 for one, which is still crap loads of money really, especially in the 80s.  That's probably why it didn't do as well against the Spectrum and C64, and is also why the Archimedes didn't do that well either.

The C64 had the best hardware of it's generation for games mind.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Nathan on 2011-Oct-24
The C64 had the best hardware of it's generation for games mind.

That's for sure, especially when programmers got to grips with what the machine had to offer, same as any new platform really. After the initial very blocky gfx & not so great sound it became THE games machine. What Rob Hubbard & Martin Galway done with the C64 sound was just awesome & no other computer (home or otherwise) could touch it.
Even now playing the sid tunes in a player via surround or any speaker set-up with a sub make the room rumble, we had sub-bass tunes in the 80's & nobody knew lol.

Was a pain to program though & the endless lines of POKE 53280 etc to change screen colours, sprites & sound was not fun  :giveup: .

Was made a lot easier with the Simons Basic cart although at a cost, Machine Code was def the way forward back then, which was true of nearly all the 8bit micros (less so on the BBC i think)
- "These go to eleven."

Schranz0r

I like the soundpart :D
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Marmor

=D =D =D =D 

1:21 - 1.30   lol

dont throw it away !!  and he  throw  it away lol