GLBasic Pokemon! You heard right :P

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

<<<! Check newest post for latest version!>>>

My pokemon-like game with my very own little blue blob we've seen a few times on here before! This is version 0.5. I've been working on it for about 2 weeks now.

Controls:
Arrow keys = move
Z = cancel
X = accept
1-5 = zoom window
Return/Enter = Menu
F1-F5 = debug options

Catch Blobomon and raise them as your very own. They level up, learn moves, and gain stats! You go from town to town and fight trainers and leaders, and collect them all! Right now there's no real "content" besides the main little town and Route 1. It's mostly just to debug battles and events. Give it a go if you get bored! BE WARNED: it might take a monster rig to run  :nana:

Jokes aside, it runs in 160x144. Yup. 160 x 144. That's the original Gameboy resolution! It can zoom to several different sized windows, however. It also runs at 30 FPS, so most machines will run the game properly. Pressing "1" to see it in its original format is pretty funny. I plan to make this into an Android mobile game with a Gameboy on-screen controller.

SCREENSHOTS: http://imgur.com/a/yk9sp
DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aq3gu2ray7gh9o4/Blobomon%200.5%20Beta.zip?dl=0

Let me know what you think! Keep in mind, most things are placeholders.

Darmakwolf

Note that there are two other executables in the game folder. those are not necessary to just play the game. blobeventx is a C# eventing interface I created for the event editor in the map editor. BoM is Blobomon On Map. It is used also by the editor to define what enemies can appear on a particular map. In the editor, pressing B called BoM, pressing E on any tile creates a new event with blobeventx.

Darmakwolf

Update 0.51 addresses several freezes. You can now speak to trainers from any angle and it will initiate battle even if you weren't in their line of sight, just like Pokemon. It also adds special attribute icons! Now if your creature has a special attribute, it will have an icon indicator in the Blobomon menu and in battle. Enemy creatures also have special attribute indicators. Right now there are 22 special attributes. One of them is "Terrifying" (boss monster,) is exceedingly rare, and can occur in wild or trainer Blobomon battles. Right now you can even catch Trainer-owned Blobomon.

Edit: I've removed the map editing tools because I doubt anyone really cares about editing maps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip2wfe57ujwus1g/Blobomon%200.51.zip?dl=0

Darmakwolf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwegpkl5ddp2a95/Blobomon%200.53.zip?dl=0

Update 0.53 addresses many glitches, including the infamous "blacked out" glitch when losing all your Blobomon. Potions are now usable (Just no animation/sound,) and I added Spindlescorch. Some moves were adjusted and learn-levels adjusted. Items now increase/decrease properly. Fixed a teleport crash. Fixed some sounds not playing. Next update should have over-time status effects as well as NPC shops.

Ian Price

Once I get a few minutes I'll definitely check this out. I do enjoy the PokeMon games :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Darmakwolf

Quote from: Ian Price on 2015-Apr-04
Once I get a few minutes I'll definitely check this out. I do enjoy the PokeMon games :)

I'd appreciate that ^^
There's 14,000 lines of code so far! That amounts to an ALMOST functional system so far!

Darmakwolf

This update improves a lot of hidden issues, as well as adds SHOP support! There's a tiny general store in Cherrygrove to test out. Selling does not work at the moment, however buying does. Some of the extra unbuyable silly items are just to test out large numbers. Right now you can only really buy Potion and Sphere. Added some sweet shop musics!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbab7tp0dhflh29/Blobomon%200.55.zip?dl=0

erico

ok, dowloading latest version...should give a go later tonite. :good:
Try not to push 37 newer versions till there. :D

Darmakwolf

Quote from: erico on 2015-Apr-04
ok, dowloading latest version...should give a go later tonite. :good:
Try not to push 37 newer versions till there. :D

Too late! Just kidding lol. There will be a new version in about 8 hours.

erico

Feels like a pretty full featured system, pretty good!
I went to fight the first left guy with the fire bird and the fight kept going forever, like atfer I defeated the guy, it came another, it that normal?
Will give more goos now.

EDIT: all right, went around I guess pretty much of it, feels pretty good, a very nice system. The strange never ending battle didn´t happen anymore.
What are your plans with it? Are you going to add all story and battles and monsters?

Darmakwolf

Quote from: erico on 2015-Apr-05
Feels like a pretty full featured system, pretty good!
I went to fight the first left guy with the fire bird and the fight kept going forever, like atfer I defeated the guy, it came another, it that normal?
Will give more goos now.

EDIT: all right, went around I guess pretty much of it, feels pretty good, a very nice system. The strange never ending battle didn´t happen anymore.
What are your plans with it? Are you going to add all story and battles and monsters?

Interesting... I will look into the infini-trainer! xD yes I already have all the towns, events, and main story finished on paper! It'll be a full-featured pokemon-style RPG! Thanks for testing.

erico

It is a WELL done job, the whole system!

I have to beg you please let us skip faster the intro talking. It is ok a few times but after playing a lot of times, the startup conversation just goes on way too forever, maybe a faster accel when B is pressed? The current one is not fast enough.

I have experienced one screen that things would not go anywhere from there, but I can´t seem to replicate it. It was one of the battle menus.
Overall it is a great engine!

I´m a fan of this kind of games, specially card ones like the snk vs capcom card clash on the neo geo pocket. :good:
Keep it up!
Where are the updates? =D 

Darmakwolf

It is a WELL done job, the whole system!

I have to beg you please let us skip faster the intro talking. It is ok a few times but after playing a lot of times, the startup conversation just goes on way too forever, maybe a faster accel when B is pressed? The current one is not fast enough.

I have experienced one screen that things would not go anywhere from there, but I can´t seem to replicate it. It was one of the battle menus.
Overall it is a great engine!

I´m a fan of this kind of games, specially card ones like the snk vs capcom card clash on the neo geo pocket. :good:
Keep it up!
Where are the updates? =D

If anything like that ever happens again, hold F1 and printscreen please. I just put in a bunch of fail-safes for possible freezes, working on sell-shops at the moment.

Darmakwolf

Version 0.56

Fixes shops buying. It would crash if a shop had less than 5 items before. Added "AnTdot" item. Added skills to Grassnitch. Evened out some learned skill levels. Added many fixes to trainer battles, including freeze-fixes and fixed an unlikely scenario where a trainer would never "die." Seemingly fixed a problem where half-defeated trainers would still be half-defeated upon blacking out. Everything seems pretty stable now as far as blacking out, respawning, and fixing trainer original locations and battle setup goes.

TODO: fix selling items at the shop (not possible still, but buying is possible), and proper potion usage w/ animation and sound. Up next will also be evolution, baby!  :good:

Note: Swampsprig still sucks.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1x7deyc4thgmy8/Blobomon%200.56.zip?dl=0

Darmakwolf

No problem! I *just* popped that feature in to the next version. Likely you'll see version 0.58 tomorrow with it, and item-selling. It's just "press Z to skip dialog" - basically any text it'll blow right through if you mash it.