Forum spams my email inbox

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

I get dozents of mails like below now. Is there anything I can do?

The mail system

<xxxxsuperlate22@gmail.com>: host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.184.26]
    said: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.
    Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for
    typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1
    https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser z133si25218144wmb.39 - gsmtp
    (in reply to RCPT TO command)

bigsofty

Are you using GMail Gernot or are you using a 3rd party or mail server?

If your using GMail, then set up some filters for text in the spam, email title or sender. GMails filters are quite good for filtering out the rubbish once their set up.

If your not using GMail, then I would set up a new GMail account and auto-forward all your current mail to the new GMail account, where you can add filters.

There's some good tips here... http://lifehacker.com/when-gmails-filters-arent-enough-how-to-tackle-spam-513920584

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

spacefractal

I'm was my self forced to change email address due spam, which got overboard...
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Moru

This is most likely if you have your personal email registered as sender for mail from the boards.

So ever time a spammer registers an account with a fake email adress, the forum uses your email to send them an activation mail that bounces back to you. Set up a new "no-reply@whatever.com" email adress and use that one instead, should take care of it.

erico

It is most probably what Moru described I think.
But sounds strange, I never has any trouble with spam, at least with gmail.

bigsofty

Yup, never post your email as blah@blah.com anywhere on line. Bots will extract all emails from a website. Simple obfuscation can help avoid this if you need to post an email. EG. my email is... blah "At sign" blah.com. Or simply drop me a PM if you wan't to email me directly.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Schranz0r

I only get reports and reply's in my inbox...
The mails are directly from the board?!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2017-May-21
It is most probably what Moru described I think.

I think so too. Forum software is trying to send using your mail, the mail bounces, and it reports back to you.
So go somewhere in the settings and change it to a no-reply mail address.  =D

But sounds strange, I never has any trouble with spam, at least with gmail.

Gmail probably has the best spam filter in the world, given that they run machine learning algorithms on the biggest dataset in the world and they do that in basically all their products.