Newton

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Not a small request I know... but any chance of the Newton library being officially inserted into the GLBasic command set. Full compiler error checking, manual and run time error support. As a separate C++ library its a little unapproachable by your average basic programmer.

It could be a big selling point.

Just an idea.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

uhm... the newton is implemented as a .gbas file, whic offers everything as glbasic functions. With tooltip help, a manual (Right click, tools/Create Help) and all.
I can't see any benefit of implementing newton inside GLBasic. Also, there's no PocketPC/GP2X version for it.
I was planning on making a tutorial video, though. Noone has used it AFAIK, but it's really easy to use.

bigsofty

The reference material is quite unapproachable for a newby, as its based on C++ but I do see your point with PocketPC / GP2X though.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Brice Manuel

QuoteNoone has used it AFAIK,
I used it for a pinball game.

bigsofty

Quote from: Brice Manuel
QuoteNoone has used it AFAIK,
I used it for a pinball game.
In GLBasic?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Brice Manuel

Quoten GLBasic?
Yeppers

Moru

Pinball game? Gimme! :-)

Brice Manuel

Quote from: MoruPinball game? Gimme! :-)
I will release it eventually.  I have rewritten it so it doesn't use newton.  It is not really heavy enough physics-wise to need newton.  

It is being done as a tribute to an 80's rock band called "Space Band" and will use artwork from their album cover.  I have been dealing with some health issues and haven't had a chance to get back with the band's founder/guitarist to see what songs (which will be background music) he wants to use for the game.

Nothing too fancy, though, just a really retro styled table, with nothing fancy.  Old-school pinball.  The only thing unique is it is an officially licensed game and will feature authentic Space Band artwotk and music.  More than anything else, it is a tribute to a great old band, and since the band's founder was a "Pinball Wizard" back in the day, this seemed a pretty fitting tribute ;)

Moru

Sounds interesting, looking forward to see your work completed!

bigsofty

So there is no longer pinball game using Newton? Do you still have the sources for that?
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Yes, that would be a good source for starting with newton.

Brice Manuel

Quote from: bigsoftyDo you still have the sources for that?
Nope.

Moru

Are the Newton samples supposed to be able to compile on a demo-compiler or should I give up getting them to run? I only get this error message:

"..\NewtonSDK.gbas"(22) error : redefinition as different type

This is on the first #ifdef line, if I remove all those and only leave the windows line I still get problems lower down, same error message.

Kitty Hello

What version are you using? Do you have the SDK 5.x?