Previous topic - Next topic

erico

Hello chaps,
I just published this game on itchio.
Here the link:
https://ericomont.itch.io/gravediggerex

here the trailer:

here a gameplay vid:

I will pop out some keys soon, very hard to do posts with a broken hand but we have to do with what we can.
[I havent forgot about you Moru, just had to have this done before, :)]

MrPlow

I think that would be a great mobile game - if you got the controls right and maybe re-orient for portrait!
:D
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

spacefractal

no reason to do it portrait. Its a feature im just do not like. Landscape all the way. You can just keep it landscape and would play perfectly on the mobile anyway!

Did you notice as im only have supported portrait once? That was Genius Greedy Mouse, which im do later locked it to landscape due game controller support. Genius Greedy Mouse was such a game that could play in any orientation without trouble.

PS. Such a game that would been fun to see that on Spectrum Next, where the graphics would been perfect suitable for it. im dont think you ever would degrade the graphics or ever resolution at all (seens like its 320x240 game, Spectrum Next support 320x256).

PPS. Dont forget to add Y as same button as Z or possible to remap the keys.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

I agree - it would easily suit landscape on mobile - I just find that I have more success (downloads) with portrait apps (single hand play) but then again, its not a fast-paced arcade game.

And also, I second that it would a good game for the ZX Spectrum Next  =D

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Schranz0r

Hi, this game have to be landscape! :D
I like the graphicstyle, nice work Erico.
$2 -  maybe a bit to cheap?!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

bigsofty

I like it, the gameplay seems to be quite unusual, semi-puzzle/action. If you could sync up music to the movement, there's a definite Crypt Of The Necrodancer vibe here.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

erico

Quote from: MrPlow on 2020-Jan-06
I think that would be a great mobile game - if you got the controls right and maybe re-orient for portrait!

I´m still behind on the android dev. The time I need for it always seems to fight with the time to dev a new game.
I hope to do something about it this year. :)

Quote from: spacefractal on 2020-Jan-06
PS. Such a game that would been fun to see that on Spectrum Next, where the graphics would been perfect suitable for it. im dont think you ever would degrade the graphics or ever resolution at all (seens like its 320x240 game, Spectrum Next support 320x256).

PPS. Dont forget to add Y as same button as Z or possible to remap the keys.

It sure could work on either next or standard spectrum, it is not a complicated game and as you said, the gfx is very simple and I even have a simpler set.
Check this devlog here:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=68553.0
The game is based on a type-in game book of the 80s, there is a spectrum version :)

I didn´t add key remap, why the "Y"? I hardcoded arrows+zx and joystick/pad+AB.
I will have to add a key/control remap to my framework...my currently broken right hand thought me a hard lesson on accessibility, way above my original intentin to keep the controls fixed so to mimic the 80s arcades... ends up having more people experiencing the game is more important than oldschool hard arcade controls.  :-[
My future games should sport something on that front.

Quote from: Schranz0r on 2020-Jan-07
Hi, this game have to be landscape! :D
I like the graphicstyle, nice work Erico.
$2 -  maybe a bit to cheap?!

Maybe 2$ is a bit cheap, but it is a simple game.

Quote from: bigsofty on 2020-Jan-07
I like it, the gameplay seems to be quite unusual, semi-puzzle/action. If you could sync up music to the movement, there's a definite Crypt Of The Necrodancer vibe here.

Thanks, there is a bit of dinamic music as it changes according to 2 situations, but nothing as sync as Necrodancer.

I will share keys with all you guys as soon as I get them from itchio, I´d really love some criticism on it :)

erico

Holy crap!!!! I just noticed I forgot to add 'powered by glbasic' in game and videos as I usually do! aaarrrrgh! :rant:
There is proper mention on the devlog and it will be when I bring it to my own homepage but heck!

I will see to fix that on the video descriptions and possibly on v1.1 of the exe.
Dammit! Can´t waste no opportunity to promote our tool, I´m ashamed. :'(

spacefractal

because some countries uses QWERTZ keyboards, like those in German. They why im allways make sure to add Y as well and its dont conflict anyway.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

You are right. It is now on the to do list for v1.1
That didn't came to my mind...my other games also don't have it.

SnooPI

Nice work Erico!  :good:

Personally I also prefer the landscape on mobile, but it's true that applications in portrait mode are more successful in general.

erico

It is an interesting subject.
Turn based games, like pixel dungeon, I tend to play in portrait.

spacefractal

Greedy Mouse did supported portrait mode, but due im got trouble to get any orientation mode to work correctly back in the day, im forced the game to been landscape mode. Some games can support any orientation without trouble.

Turn based games should of course not have any problem to play in any orientation at all!

erico

added GLB credits to youtube descriptions and itchio page. :)
One nice thing is that every new game I release tends to sell my others.