OpenPandora

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdremel

I have been mailing back and forth with Gernot about this, but it is not going to work out of the box.

I have a Standard Pandora machine running hotfix 4. When I compile a game for the Pandora (build for other platform) and copy the Pandoramake directory to the Pandora and try to compile it does not work properly.

There is an install script to install all the libraries needed to compile. The script gave a lot of errors, so I had to strip all the gui stuff out and just run the lib install lines. It worked. Now when I compile, I get a lot of compile errors. It doesn't seem to understand the GLBASIC language.

Gernot gave me an e-mail regarding reinstalling the libs, but it all seems fine when I try to reinstall. I really need a working install script for everything needed on the Pandora, but I'm not getting any reply when I ask for that.

Is there anyone who has gotten it to work....compiling a game on tha Pandora, for the Pandora?

Cliff3D

There's only what, about 700-800 Pandora units in the world? And they're on HotFix 4 "already". Pandora is currently a moving target, so I wouldn't expect stability to be a huge feature yet - which makes keeping up problematical for any software developer. Including, I imagine, the dev behind GLBasic.

mrdremel

Quote from: Cliff3D on 2010-Sep-08
There's only what, about 700-800 Pandora units in the world? And they're on HotFix 4 "already". Pandora is currently a moving target, so I wouldn't expect stability to be a huge feature yet - which makes keeping up problematical for any software developer. Including, I imagine, the dev behind GLBasic.

The only fixes there are, are related to wifi drivers, bluetooth drivers and so on and so on. The actual os is pretty much the same all the time.

The problem lies in the installation script there are faults in the script, causing the installation to fail. It has nothing to do with the os itself. I think Gernot has been trying real hard to get it to work. He probably created the script after registering what was needed for it.

I only ask that someone try it on a Pandora that has a freshly flashed os image on there (basically the state mine was in) and find out what are the issues with the installation script. At the end of this year there will probably be over 6000 Pandora's in the wild.

Cliff3D

Quote from: mrdremel on 2010-Sep-08At the end of this year there will probably be over 6000 Pandora's in the wild.

Umm, I'm not gonna touch that one, beyond saying that I ordered one of the 4000 that should have been "in the wild" in 2008, but isn't yet.

But the list of fixes that hotfix 4 includes is up at http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=32&lang=en:

QuoteHotfix 1:
* Kernel: Fixed a bug that caused the Linux Systemtimer to halt sometimes
* Included missing packages: python-shell_2.6.4, python-pygtk_2.16.0, python-pycairo_1.4.0, gnome-vfs-plugin-http_2.24.1, gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp_2.24.1

Hotfix 2:
* Bluetooth: Disabling and restoring state on startup now working properly
* XFCE4: When switching from MiniMenu to XFCE4, the settings are now properly loaded
* Brightness-State: When shutting down, a brightness level of 0 is not saved
* MiniMenu: Fixed caching and closed a memory leak
* Automount: Now using umask 0 and noatime. Unmounting is using Lazy Mount.
* Interfaces: Fixed the file. Now WiFi isn't disturbed by usb-network anymore
* WiFi: LEDs now working
* Kernel: Video: don't force waiting for refresh
* MiniMenu: XFCE4-Apps now included in MiniMenu
* New: Boost, Lua5.1 and Evince
* New: Script to change the LCD refresh rate from 50 / 60 Hz (ideal for emulators)
* Some typo fixes and general tweaks

Hotfix 3:
* Kernel: Fixed problem with broken sound on some units. Also improved ALSA Buffer Underrun problems
* Kernel Modules: Added USB Sound and Midi Modules as well as the TUN/TAN-Module
* U-Boot: Fixed LCD timings on Reset (which caused weird dots around the Logo on reboot / Reset)
* U-Boot: Added serial out via USB (ideal for debugging when trying to port new OSes to the Pandora)
* MiniMenu: Added automatic Refresh on SD Card insert and quick navigation using keyboard letters
* Battery-Settings: LED now starts blinking at 10% and shuts down at 5%. The previous values were too short.
* Bugfix: op_fbrunapp had some problems with command line parameters. That's now fixed.
* Services: Removed unneeded services from Startup - also services most users don't need (like dropbear, samba, etc.) They can be re-enabled with the new Startup-Settings
* Startup-Settings: Added enabling / disabling services
* New: Added Mass Storage mode via Mini-USB (can be enabled in the System-Menu)
* Automount: Now using Label names (if the card has one) instead of mmcblk*
* Automount: Now using Dirsync instead of sync with 2s Buffer flush. This increases SD Write speed A LOT. However, be sure to wait at least 2 seconds before removing your SD Card after you saved data
* Not yet fixed: PNDs will not run if they have a space in the filename or path (do not use spaces in your SD-Card labels for now!)
* pnd_run-Script: Changed a few things to make it compatible with spaces in filenames (still needs some other fix). Thanks to Ivanovic.
* Bluetooth-Script: Fixed save / restore settings on startup (thanks to urjaman)

Hotfix 4:
* Kernel: Added Bluetooth patch by urjaman. PAN (bluetooth internet connections) work fine now.
* WiFi: Fixed the problem where you could not reconnect after you lost a connections
* xf86-video-omapfb: add pandora specific screen blanking
* Nub Mousebuttons: Moving down is now middle mousebuttons. Recognition of mouseclicks with the nub has been enhanced (patch by urjaman)
* Pandora-Scripts: The internal scripts (CPU-Speed, Startup-Manager, etc.) have icons now.
* Pandora-Scripts: Added simple TV-Out script.
* Lid: Opening / Closing will not affect the powersave mode anymore.
* Enhanced brightness scripts (made the more linear)
* Powersave mode: Fixed the CPU Speed setting
* pnd_run: Added support for clockspeed setting
* libpnd: Support spaces in pathnames and PND-Names.
* Updated to a more recent XFCE4-Version
* First-Run-Wizard and Time / Date script: Fixed bug of not-appearing calendar
* New default config for vim (thanks to Nils Kneuper (Ivanovic))
* Python: Added python-misc and python-modules
* New lib: libaudiofile0 now included
* MiniMenu: New config dialogue included (will be improved in the future)
* udev 151: add rule to reserve fb2
* Leds: Fix TWL4030 PWM LED driver (thanks to Urja Rannikko)
* Pandora misc: HACK to change OPP level according to set mhz (thanks to Urja Rannikko) + OPP limiter added (by notaz)
* OMAP: DSS2: make filter coefficient tables human readable, DSS2: add some hackish FIR filter coefficient access

Of course, there may be other fixes that aren't mentioned. I'm not advocating ignoring the platform - I'm suggesting that with that many fixes and only 700ish units, don't be TOO surprised if you don't get a definitive answer quickly. That would need a Pandora owner, a Pandora owner who uses GLBasic, a Pandora owner who uses GLBasic and has the knowledge to research your problem for you, a Pandora owner who uses GLBasic and has the ability to research your problem AND the time to do so... and probably a bunch of extras I haven't thought of. When there are 7 million users, there will probably be several people who fit that bill, when there are 700 en toto the numbers get slimmer :(

What are the errors you get? could any of those be cause by (for example) services that used to run at startup and do so no longer - or any of the other changes?

MrTAToad

I believe Gernot does have a Pandora machine - I'm sure he'll be able to look into it when he has time...

Unfortunately I dont know anyone here that has a Pandora...

Kitty Hello

I'm trying to get the OpenGL ES in, too for the next update. Patience, please.

ampos

Stop working on silly pandora, and make the PS3 version for GLBasic  :-*

Or maybe a Wii one, it should be much easier/cheap.  :nana:
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

MrTAToad

Quotemake the PS3 version for GLBasi
Not allowed - unless you want to give Gernot the $10,000 needed to join the development system

Quotemaybe a Wii one
Same there too...

Cliff3D

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Sep-13
...sadly somewhere somehow the announced focus on opening GLBasic up for non-games programming seems to have faded away quite a bit...

just my 0.02 €.

I was hoping to use GLBasic for some non-games programming, but I'm struggling a bit - it does seem very much more suited to retro game creation than the kind of utilities - simple though they seem to me - that I've been hoping to write. Still, I'm persevering for now :)

Quote from: Ocean on 2010-Sep-13As to Pandora:  this little system really is of interest to me, especially so if their logistics mature to a point where you don't have to put yourself on a waiting list and a continued availability is guaranteed.  I guess I'd like the system to prove itself on the market before committing to it myself.

The concept holds great promise, but delivering on the promise has proven to be much more of a challenge than they ever expected.

MrTAToad

DDgui is good, but doesn't give a Windows-like display.  You could also try TCL/TK for a full Windows look - but you do need a few extra DLL's

Finally, if you want to totally finish my Guichan stuff, feel free :)

mrdremel

Quote from: mrdremel on 2010-Sep-08
I have been mailing back and forth with Gernot about this, but it is not going to work out of the box.

I have a Standard Pandora machine running hotfix 4. When I compile a game for the Pandora (build for other platform) and copy the Pandoramake directory to the Pandora and try to compile it does not work properly.

There is an install script to install all the libraries needed to compile. The script gave a lot of errors, so I had to strip all the gui stuff out and just run the lib install lines. It worked. Now when I compile, I get a lot of compile errors. It doesn't seem to understand the GLBASIC language.

Gernot gave me an e-mail regarding reinstalling the libs, but it all seems fine when I try to reinstall. I really need a working install script for everything needed on the Pandora, but I'm not getting any reply when I ask for that.

Is there anyone who has gotten it to work....compiling a game on tha Pandora, for the Pandora?

IT WORKS!!!!!  8) :D =D

Gernot is the King! He mailed me a new lib file to include with the project and it compiles great now!

:good: :good: :good: :good:

Leginus

And yet again, this is why GLbasic is a fantastic language to use.  Individual support and problems fixed in very little down time.  I don't know of many (if any) other languages that have that kind of support. 

Now if only we can get Gernot into UK politics  :)

Ian Price

QuoteNow if only we can get Gernot into UK politics  :)

Now that would be something! The UK would once again rule the world and everyone would want to live here. :P :D
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

I think about visiting the uk for vacation next summer. Someone told me you have a few months where there's no rain and sun and beach and such. Dare you to have rain when I come!

ampos

Check Spain.  :enc: I am in the sunny Granada.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE