Galaxians Remake - only different...

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzy70

Did you use the scanlines  effect I posted in 2Dsnippets I think it was?

If so glad someone has made some use of it  :good:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

MrPlow

Hi Fuzzy,

I actually did that from scratch but I will defo look to see if your polyvector mem2sprite method is faster...

My method was very simple but might have performance issues on smartphones...

Thks!!

BTW did u try my demo...?
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

fuzzy70

The one I posted should be pretty rapid as all it draws is a single polyvector, the MEM2SPRITE part is only called once at the start to create the sprite. I have not tested it on mobiles though.

Yes I have tried your game & it's coming on very nicely. If I did have to say any criticisms it would be the smoothness of the aliens when they swoop down. Best way I can describe it is it's not a smooth curve with say a constant speed or acceleration factor as sometimes they appear to do a sharp turn then continue on as before. Not sure if that made sense in writing lol, if not will draw a couple of pics & post them when back home as that will be clearer.

One problem I did have but that may be down to my pc doing something else is that a couple of times I was unable to move my ship but I could still fire, also the ship just carried on moving to the right. Both occasions lasted about 1 or 2 seconds but I think that was due to my pc doing something else in the background as noticed my mouse pointer was jerky & lagging briefly.

Keep up the good work though & as a thought seeing as its coming up to Xmas soon you could do seasonal gfx like Santa as the main meany at the top with the others being helpers & reindeer.

Lee

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

MrPlow

Thanks Lee

I will look into the curve speed issue!
I may even add a switch for the Xmas Gfx
:-)

Comp:

Kryten

Thats quite good - I like the gfx and the scanline effects, very arcadey. The aliens seem to "stutter" about halfway down on an attack though.

Interested in how youre doing the curving attacks - sinewave style calcs, bezier curves or a different approach? Only asking as Im playing about with coding a version of this as well and havent come across a method Im entirely happy with yet. It would be interesting to get another perspective on it.

MrPlow

Hi Kyrpten,

Yes, bezier but was using sin wave too I need to tweak mine too, your the second person who commented on my sharp turns... lol!

I'm no maths guru but the basics are here...and you extend by adding more points...and maybe feed into a function.

Code (glbasic) Select

LOCAL q1 = x1+(x2-x1)*tme
LOCAL q2 = y1+(y2-y1)*tme

LOCAL x = q1+(q2-q1)*tme
LOCAL y = q1+(q2-q1)*tme
Comp:

Kryten

Thanks for the input - Im playing with beziers at the moment :-)