GLBasic: Cannot Question?

Previous topic - Next topic

coder14

Quote from: Ian PriceSeriously? Your'e complaining about an .EXE of 1MB for "Hello World"? I dare you to find a machine produced in the last 10 years that finds a 1MB executable too large to fit in it's memory. You will also notice that no matter how big your code gets that .EXE doesn't really get much bigger. It contains pretty much everything you will need for your program, no matter how large it is.

You complain about GLBasic missing certain features from certain hardware, but fail to grasp the fact that the language is called GL "BASIC". Please list all the BASIC like languages available that support all those features on Android and iOS deveices as well as support the multitude of other devices that GLB does.

You also forget to mention just how easy it is to create programs in GLBasic, how fast they run and how many systems they run on without ANY modifications to your code.

The features and functions you require CAN be achieved with GLBasic and APIs - but you have to do some of the work to import and incorporate them. GLBasic can't be expected to do absolutely everything for you.

Anyway, I smell trolling, so I'm locking this thread.
Asking questions about GLBasic's capabilities and shortcomings is trolling? Where do you get off?

It was a legitimate query into whether or not GLBasic is interpreted, and the statement was in reference to that. Because it seemed big I was asking if there was an interpreter or player embedded. The others had answered that question.

You seem to think that being a jack of all trades and master of none is an acceptable thing. People don't jump onto a platform because it supports a multitude of devices, but because it claims to support a particular device, or two, that they are interested in. Incomplete command sets that require native workarounds does not qualify as support. Touch and go at best.

And the most important part - we selected GLBasic because it is BASIC, and expecting that we learn Objective-C or C++ to get things done is ludicrous. Of course we expect GLBasic to do everything for us, especially when that everything is part of the fundamental functionalities of the device it claims to support.

Easy is great, but complete would be better. No offence Gernot, but your moderator is a dunce.

jSmith

Quote from: coder14 on 2013-Mar-18
Quote from: Ian PriceSeriously? Your'e complaining about an .EXE of 1MB for "Hello World"? I dare you to find a machine produced in the last 10 years that finds a 1MB executable too large to fit in it's memory. You will also notice that no matter how big your code gets that .EXE doesn't really get much bigger. It contains pretty much everything you will need for your program, no matter how large it is.

You complain about GLBasic missing certain features from certain hardware, but fail to grasp the fact that the language is called GL "BASIC". Please list all the BASIC like languages available that support all those features on Android and iOS deveices as well as support the multitude of other devices that GLB does.

You also forget to mention just how easy it is to create programs in GLBasic, how fast they run and how many systems they run on without ANY modifications to your code.

The features and functions you require CAN be achieved with GLBasic and APIs - but you have to do some of the work to import and incorporate them. GLBasic can't be expected to do absolutely everything for you.

Anyway, I smell trolling, so I'm locking this thread.
Asking questions about GLBasic's capabilities and shortcomings is trolling? Where do you get off?

It was a legitimate query into whether or not GLBasic is interpreted, and the statement was in reference to that. Because it seemed big I was asking if there was an interpreter or player embedded. The others had answered that question.

You seem to think that being a jack of all trades and master of none is an acceptable thing. People don't jump onto a platform because it supports a multitude of devices, but because it claims to support a particular device, or two, that they are interested in. Incomplete command sets that require native workarounds does not qualify as support. Touch and go at best.

And the most important part - we selected GLBasic because it is BASIC, and expecting that we learn Objective-C or C++ to get things done is ludicrous. Of course we expect GLBasic to do everything for us, especially when that everything is part of the fundamental functionalities of the device it claims to support.

Easy is great, but complete would be better. No offence Gernot, but your moderator is a dunce.

Yeah it should. Im having a real hard time too. but glbasic is still great.
When your software fails blame it on the hardware.

mentalthink

HI Coder 14... a little of Peace perhaps we are a bit today "cabreaos" [enoged] between us... dont' care Ian it's a very good moderator... but sometimes another guys come into the forum for say... he GLBasic it's a shit... not it's your case , how I told you today it's an strange day...

About if you permet I explain things about GLbasic, GLBasic can't do anything... but really have a lot of good things, and the better... for people don't know programming like me... I begin here I think about 3 years ago, and I never pick any line of code, today I think I do something good or bad, this depends who it's watching the device , something I learned and the most important I undertand a bit another languajes more complex ...

I don't want say GLbasic it's the best in the market , but for price and what you can do, more than games, and mix whit anothers languajes, it's a very very powerfull soft... and teh develpment it's very very easy , quick and productive.

MrTAToad

Just to answer the question, GLBasic doesn't create interpreted programs - all are compiled to platforms native executable format.  Whilst Java is Android's preferred format (for some weird reason), C/C++ is also available (and can provide a modest speed increase).  Unfortunately Java is still required though.

Compiling for HTML 5 is completely different (and still being worked on).

And the reason that programs can be large is that all the required library stuff is included - unless you compile for console - at which point executable size drops by around a half - but that's because you lose a lot of stuff...

I think calling Ian a dunce is a bit purile, and so might be wise to avoid doing that again...

coder14

Thanks for the kind replies. TBH, I'm still considering GLBasic that's why I'm asking. If the benefits outweigh the workarounds, it will be well worth the effort to target two or even three platforms with a single writing. But even if the missing elements can be filled with INLINE code or wrappers I don't know how to do them. I'm only 15 with just a few years of programming skills.

My current projects involve making hyperlinked phone calls, capturing realtime images from the camera, adding a simple homescreen widget, etc., all of which cannot be done directly in GLBasic. I've not found a tool that can do it all, or at least not one that I can afford anyway. I'm still saving up for the Apple Program just to do some real time testing on my iPhone.

I do somewhat regret my phrasings, but to be called a troll when I'm at my wits end trying to find answers? Not unprovoked or unwarranted. That Ian is a little abrasive. Not a good quality in a moderator.

Moru

I'm affraid you are wrong on one important point. Most of us actually choose this language because it CAN compile to so many different platforms. Every time there is a new craze about a new device we can just recompile our old libraries and it works out of the box. No need to learn a totally new system.

If asked nicely I'm sure someone would have put together a little example for you to access whatever is possible.

Now calm down. This is one of the friendliest forums I know of. Be very careful with namecalling please. We have had our share of trolls here too.

Quentin

... Not a good quality in a moderator.
also moderators are only humans. Don't expect them to be perfect. Nobody of us is :)

fuzzy70

capturing realtime images from the camera, adding a simple homescreen widget, etc., all of which cannot be done directly in GLBasic. I've not found a tool that can do it all, or at least not one that I can afford anyway.

This is in no way me having a dig at you but a question for myself as well really. Can that not be done in Xcode, only saying as I thought that was the official development tool for iOS or is it just a IDE & libraries for obj-C for Apple stuff.

Basically I dumped Apple related stuff around OSx 10.3/10.4 although I still have a MDD G4 Powermac which makes an awesome file/media server & has an awesome case  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

QuoteEasy is great, but complete would be better. No offence Gernot, but your moderator is a dunce.
And this dunce has been coding longer than you've been alive. This dunce recently won the Dragonbox Coding Competition for an original game - judged by the community and a panel. Last year I came second in a comp organized by the same team with an original game. And the year before that I came second in the Spanish Coding comp. And before that I came first and before that and before that and before that... All with GLBasic, against others using supposedly better (complete?) languages. This dunce has also released over 200 apps (freely and commercially) in various languages over the years. So this dunce has done pretty good.

You completely missed the points I made in my post, which were based on the majority of your post whinging about GLB's capabilities and not whether it was interpreted or compiled. Of course, you're 15. You know everything. And you expect everything to do everything for you without any hassle. NO language does that and there is no such thing as a complete language. Not one. You have to work at it and put effort into everything. And work around any areas that may be missing.

Now, as others have said we are a very friendly forum, and we are more than happy to offer advice and assistance but coming in and stating GLBasic is crap because it doesn't do such and such is completely missing the while point of the language AND of coding.

And slagging off members of the community and a moderator at that isn't going to do you any favours.
I came. I saw. I played.

jSmith

IMHO, he did ask nicely and was called a troll. That's not name calling? He didn't start it.

IMHO  :whistle:
When your software fails blame it on the hardware.

Ian Price

Unfortunately, like every other forum, we do get our share of attacks and trolls. His initial question soon turned into whinging about the capabilities of GLBasic and limitations (which isn't necessarily wrong or a bad thing).

I (and others) had answered his questions, which appeared to me as turning into trolling.

I admit maybe I was too hasty in locking the thread (I was at work, so I didn't necessarily have the time I would have liked to think about the topic) , but my answers were still valid to the questions. With only a dozen or so posts on the forum I took a stance. If any other Moderator believes it be the wrong one, then please let me know.

I didn't actually call him a troll per se, but never mind.
I came. I saw. I played.

Schranz0r

Close!

coder14 don't call other ppl dunce or whatever, first and last warning!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Kitty Hello

Howdy. He sent me a polite email where he asks to be unbanned.
I think its valid to ask questions. Its also legal to tell flood posters to not do.
I suggest next time we just ignore posts that sound like someone would be trolling and only answer the proper questions.

Would you agree to give a yellow card and 2nd chance?

Moru

I'm affraid his IP-address was banned already when he got here first and he should never have been allowed in the first place. I'm looking into why he was allowed at all.

Schranz0r

strange Moru...

Gernot, for me it's OK, but pls talk to Ian !
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard