options page

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Rae

What does multisampling do on the options setup?

Kitty Hello

It waits to be found?
Honestly, I found no way to toggle multisampling during program run, so I put it here.
If your card does not support it, it will run without multisampling, then.

bigsofty

Anyway to make it a command line option or a run once only command? This way it can be an option for the end user?

Just a suggestion.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

hm... maybe an option. I'll think about it. Maybe there's a way to decide within SETSCREENSIZE. That would be much better.

Moru

Any news on this? I would realy like to be able to set this in program so I don't mess up my grabsprite with multisampling .-)

AndyH

What does the multisampling option do? 

Moru

It makes an average between two different colored edges so if you have a white rectangle over a black background the edge will become gray to smooth out the outline. You don't want this if you are using transparency while grabbing sprites from a surface but drawing the sprites later while rotatin and zooming should look much better with multisampling on. It is also called anti aliasing in some programs.

Kuron

Andy:  It keeps the jaggies away.

AndyH

Ah - I need to keep the jaggies away most of the time  =D  For some reason I had always assumed it was something to do with the sample buffers on playing sound (a similar term is used in MMF you see).  Cool, well that explains why my rectangles were sometimes coming out anti-aliased on the PC version of my game then!

Moru

Antialiased is probably better than Multisampling, was confusing me too so I had to try it out and it breaks the bitmat font routines :-)