What type of Mac/Mini will work with GLB + iPhone?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I'm seriously looking at getting myself a Mac/Mini (for the sole purpose of starting to develop for an iDevice) - however there seems to be no end of different versions and OS's.

Is there a particular processor type that is required for GLB compilation? Intel/PowerPC G4 etc. Does it matter?

Is there a minimum speed/RAM requirement?

Which OS is required? I seem to recall Snow Leopard being mentioned, is this correct.

What is OS 10.4?
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

If you want to do iPhone/iPad/iPod stuff it MUST be an Intel Mac.  If you wont be then a PowerPC one will be fine as GLBasic creates Universal applications.

As for minimum speed & RAM - the lowest spec Mac Mini is 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM.  If you go the PowerPC route, 1GB is fine (and quite useable) with, I think around 1.5Ghz.  Most processors are more efficient than Intel ones - which partially explains the lower clock speed.

OSX 10.4 is Cheetah, 10.5 is Leopard (must get all the updates for this as the default version is rather buggy) and 10.6 is Snow Leopard - never used it (and have no need to upgrade to it).  GLBasic works with 10.5 and 10.6, and it should with lower versions as well.

Ian Price

Cheers MrTaToad - that's exactly the kind of info I was after. Many thanks :)

BTW Is there anything that I need to be aware of that hasn't been mentioned? I've NEVER used a Mac in my life (I'm sure I'll pick up the basics) and my knowledge of them is virtually zero.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

You need 10.6 for the iPhone SDK 3.2 and higher.

I just got a MacMini, Intel and put OSX 10.6 on it ($30 if not installed).
You need a USB keyboard. The keys are somewhat different, so get a water resistant pen to type stuff like @ and {} [] on your keyboard.

MrTAToad

If you go the Mac Mini routine, then you need to buy your own keyboard and monitor.  Of course, you wont need to getting another type of Mac.

As Gernot mentioned, the standard Mac keyboard layout is strange - Apple obviously don't believe in localisation in that department...

Most things work straight away and usually without drivers.

Apple will ring you (assuming you supply a correct telephone number during the registration routine) after a week or so to find out how you are getting on - and to try and sell the Apple Protection Plan.  Like any type of insurance, its a gamble of whether you needed it or not - however, no Mac I had needed it...

Finally, I do feel that Apple software isn't as stable as PC stuff.  When my first Mac came, I went to try a bit of software (Photo Booth), the first thing it did was crash...

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

ampos

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2010-Aug-12
If you want to do iPhone/iPad/iPod stuff it MUST be an Intel Mac.  If you wont be then a PowerPC one will be fine as GLBasic creates Universal applications.

As for minimum speed & RAM - the lowest spec Mac Mini is 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM.  If you go the PowerPC route, 1GB is fine (and quite useable) with, I think around 1.5Ghz.  Most processors are more efficient than Intel ones - which partially explains the lower clock speed.

OSX 10.4 is Cheetah, 10.5 is Leopard (must get all the updates for this as the default version is rather buggy) and 10.6 is Snow Leopard - never used it (and have no need to upgrade to it).  GLBasic works with 10.5 and 10.6, and it should with lower versions as well.

Just to clarify, as I am in the same exact point: I need a Mac just to compile for iPhone. Nothing else. Ok, maybe later compile the same apps for Mac.

-It has to be Intel. PowerPCs can not compile for iOS.

-Is MacOS 10.6 a must, or 10.5 would do?

-If PowerPC can be used to compile for iOS... a G4 with 10.5 can be used? (they are really cheap)

-MiniMacs at 2.4 (2nd hand) are expensive for my pocket. I imagine a 1.xx mhz would do, slower but will. Also most 1.xx comes with 1gb. Can I upgrade to 2gb/4gb easily?

-If I bought with no keyb/mouse. Can I use standar PC Keyb/mouse, or has to be Mac (and expensive) ones?

I like MiniMacs, as I can have it hidden in my desk (too many things there right now), but any Mac should do. Am i correct?

Yes, I am limited to 300€, and even so, wife will kill me. Not the best moment for "wasting" money...
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

MrTAToad

10.5 will do - there are seperate SDK's for 10.5 and 10.6

A PowerPC can only compile for a Mac - Intel processors are needed for XCode

Mac Mini's are very hard to upgrade - there are various tutorials around that help you take the machine apart, but its not for the fainthearted - plus, of course, you will void any warranty.

A standard PC mouse and keyboard can be used.

Any Intel Mac will do...

doimus

I think Apple allows users to change RAM and hard drive and still keep the warranty. Even on Mac Mini. Not entirely sure about that, though.

Using standard PC keyboard on a Mac is not so smooth experience. Some keys are different, and some keyboards in fact don't work on Mac. But for compiling only, I guess it's enough.
As for the mouse, please get anything BUT Apple mouse. Their mice are overpriced and unusable. Cheapest Logitech is perfect.

Ian Price

Yep. You can change the RAM in a Mac Mini (I have just bought the newly designed one) and it states that the only user serviceable part is the RAM, which is apparently now much easier to do too.

The new Magic Mouse (£55) is awful - I found it too small and low  (and I haven't even got spades for hands) - it also seemed very sharp on the edges. I used a pc wireless mouse and it was fine. Luckily though, when I bought a wireless Apple keyboard (via eBay), I got a Mighty Mouse included. Not the most comfortable mouse I've ever used, but I've got used to it now. Luckily I got the full sized keyboard(with numpad) - apple only seem to sell the wired fullsize or the numpad free wireless version now.
I came. I saw. I played.