Steve Jobs passed away

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Quotewithout him we wouldn't be nearly as advanced with computers as we are now
That's not exactly true - the state of computers is unlikely to have changed, however mobile computing, music and apps have definitely been affected as a direct result of his input.
I came. I saw. I played.

doimus

RIP Steve Jobs

Among all things said, I would like to praise importance that he placed on product design.
We certainly can argue whether he or Apple were first in this or that, but there is no argument that Apple products, especially in the last decade, are absolute design masterpieces.

Hark0

Quote from: Ian Price on 2011-Oct-07
Quotewithout him we wouldn't be nearly as advanced with computers as we are now
That's not exactly true - the state of computers is unlikely to have changed, however mobile computing, music and apps have definitely been affected as a direct result of his input.

My professional sector, graphic design, as it is today would be inconceivable without the influence of Apple OS.

Many years it was announced and sold the "solution for the designer" kit. (Cost about 10.000 Eur. of 1990's).
It was a Macintosh Classic, a laser printer and of course the software; Aldus PageMaker, Freehand etc ... Does anyone remember?

In the days of Windows 2.0 (unbearable environment), I envied the Macintosh GUI / OS. (So ​​it was only PC user).

I worked in a design study in which 18 people shared a single Macintosh Classic design...  ;/

;)
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Ian Price

An OS is not a computer. The OS could have been designed for a pc. The Mac is not a special computer - it is technically no better than any other pc out there at a similar pricepoint (in fact they are worse specs wise).
I came. I saw. I played.

Hark0

An OS is not a computer. The OS could have been designed for a pc. The Mac is not a special computer - it is technically no better than any other pc out there at a similar pricepoint (in fact they are worse specs wise).

Of course you're right, I meant the operating system...
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic

Hark0

I should add that I've always been desfensor PC's. I have always moved between DOS, Windows, Linux, etc...

With my colleagues in the profession has always been the argument that design could only be done on a Mac ...

I have always argued that no matter the machine, it is important the person who owns it. In fact my work have been performed in 90% always in Windows environments.

(Sorry for this OffTopic on this threat)  :-[  ;)

erico

I agree, the user is usually what counts over the tool.

Here in brasil, for some unknown reasons, agencies and studios tend to fork the ridiculous price a mac costs...
The reason is actually known, it is to show of to clients that you have designed expensive machines, which may seem to the naive as a professional thing.

I only see macs good for photoshop, and that is it. 3d is horribly slower and you can´t customize your gfx card.
Editing an sound tools are just as good as a PC, I really don´t see reasons to spend 3x the price of a PC on a less powerfull mac. People around here try to push macs as professional tools, but as freelancer, I don´t get paid for time wasted on slow machines and can´t really afford working with such...

...but I like my hackintosh running on my shitty notebook(700$), it usually causes trouble when down at the studio and I show it off and it out performs their 3000$ macbooks hehe :P

Ian Price

Agreed - whatever the specs of a machine, unless a user turns it on and plays with it, all it is is an electronic brick - even if it's a nice looking electronic brick that costs twice as much as an ordinary brick :P
I came. I saw. I played.

caffeinekid

Agreed - whatever the specs of a machine, unless a user turns it on and plays with it, all it is is an electronic brick - even if it's a nice looking electronic brick that costs twice as much as an ordinary brick :P

...but enough about the 3DS...  :x

Ian Price

The 3DS is a nice machine, marred only by a lack of decent software.
I came. I saw. I played.

Hark0

Quote from: erico on 2011-Oct-07
I agree, the user is usually what counts over the tool.

Here in brasil, for some unknown reasons, agencies and studios tend to fork the ridiculous price a mac costs...
The reason is actually known, it is to show of to clients that you have designed expensive machines, which may seem to the naive as a professional thing.

I only see macs good for photoshop, and that is it. 3d is horribly slower and you can´t customize your gfx card.
Editing an sound tools are just as good as a PC, I really don´t see reasons to spend 3x the price of a PC on a less powerfull mac. People around here try to push macs as professional tools, but as freelancer, I don´t get paid for time wasted on slow machines and can´t really afford working with such...

...but I like my hackintosh running on my shitty notebook(700$), it usually causes trouble when down at the studio and I show it off and it out performs their 3000$ macbooks hehe :P

:good: +1. I play in a Hackintosh system too...

(I buy my old macbook (2006) by 2n hand very cheap....)

Hark0

The 3DS is a nice machine, marred only by a lack of decent software.

Yes. IMO one game (Zelda) very expensive to play  :D

Ruidesco

Yes, I can remember that back in the early-mid 90s anyone in graphic design was practically tied to a Macintosh.
Right now the gap between Windows and OSX for graphic editing is very little, though OSX still has some exclusive industry-defining software, such as Final Cut Pro.

What Jobs did best is making people perceive his products and Apple as a premium brand, therefore having steep prices and people willing to pay them.

Yodaman Jer

Quote from: Ruidesco on 2011-Oct-07What Jobs did best is making people perceive his products and Apple as a premium brand, therefore having steep prices and people willing to pay them.

But he justified that by offering a top-quality product.  :good:

Also, been waiting to use this emoticon...the 3DS, guys?  :offtopic:  :-[
Click the pic to go to my development blog!

Ian Price

It's a tenuous link. And I didn't bring it up. Blame caff, he's always been a bad influence :P

Anything goes in the Off Topic section I guess! :P
I came. I saw. I played.