Previous topic - Next topic

Millerszone

Hardware: iMac 27", MacBook Air, PC 3.5Ghz Quad
Developing Tools: GLBasic SDK, Gideros Studio, PureBasic
Developing for: iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, webOS, HTML5

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

It looks like it might just be the hardware side of things. The software may live on under license, but it's not looking good. The whole webOS community is having a fit.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

Looks like I wont need to save up for a Tablet then  :'(

Crivens

6 weeks after releasing the TP? Arse...

Hopefully it keeps the app side of things going for a while. Still an awesome and easy device to test on, plus get some apps out and a smaller marketplace may work out ok. My free app at least was downloaded about 5 times more than iphone in about a quarter of the time.

Still mega-arse...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

ampos

As crows, we should be alert for TouchPad discounts... they are nic devices...  >:D
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

Sokurah

Too bad. I don't have a WebOS device, but from what I've seen it looks really good.

I'd really like a Touchpad, but have I have an iPad 2 so I wouldn't want to pay full price for it, but if I'm able to somehow get a good discount I'd love to get one to play with. ;)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

MrTAToad

I think the main problem is that HP were expecting much better reviews of the Tablet - perhaps they rushed it out too quickly...

Marmor

Millerszone

I really liked the TouchPad, I think it was the closest to the iPad. Multitasking is a lot better with webOS.
UI was fast and Flash videos were very smooth.

I'll have to ship the TouchPad back to HP Sept. 30th unless they give me a deal.  :)
Could be a nice collector item.
Hardware: iMac 27", MacBook Air, PC 3.5Ghz Quad
Developing Tools: GLBasic SDK, Gideros Studio, PureBasic
Developing for: iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, webOS, HTML5

Marmor

palm revolves around three times in the grave

spacefractal

look lits its them complete own fault. People just wait due those a lots of price reduce, its clear their metode to marketing it have been quite bad...... and then they stop just after 6 weeks can been bad too, howover they do countinue to support the software itself.

only sold 10% and its not even returned device is not vert much.

PS. Yes the screen of WebOs look quite nice.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Ian Price

It's 6 weeks for the TouchPad, but a day for Pre3!! They killed it before it was even properly birthed.

I suspect that the new management structure at HP knew about this and wanted to do this prior to the TP launching, hence the less than stellar marketing of the system and the lack of development time for apps etc. This was on the cards from the new King's reign...

HP say they will continue to support the OS, but what they mean is that only if a licensee/buyer becomes available soon. Just wait and see - if one doesn't webOS will be buried (and all support terminated) within 6 months. The OS has failed twice now - under Palm and now under HP. Third times the charm? I don't think so, lovely as it may be. :(
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

No, no, NOOOOOOOOOO!

How can that be!? It's really the best OS for any mobile device that I know. The hardware of the Pre2 is superb. I have a Pixi, which also feels really good. The pad looks ace.

I think the problem is, that only geeks knew of it. I didn't see a WebOS device in any of the big electronic markets here,  did anyone in UK/USA? The "pawns" just buy what they know from their friends, so iOS or Android. If there were a device to play with in MediaMakret, I think many would have chosen the WebOS tablet over the iPad (Android no competitor at all), because the OS just feels right.

Darn, I had such great hope in this OS.

:'(

I think after this news, noone is willing to get a device anyway anymore. Even if there were a great hype, people would be frightened to buy something soon-to-be-unsupported.

Kitty Hello

It said: "In addition, HP reported that it plans to announce that it will
discontinue operations for webOS devices, specifically the TouchPad
and webOS phones. HP will continue to explore options to optimize the
value of webOS software going forward."

Maybe they sell WebOS to other mobile phone manufacturers? That would be cool then.