Android - errors loading a project

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPlow

Hey, I sorted the issue  =D
It was a MainSub call being made for iphone, palmos part of the code...
soon as i took ifdef iphone out of my code - it worked!!

=D
Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

MrPlow

Hi SF,

If you look and the zip jni folder I posted other day...this worked for other users trying to build Android and they built fine after using it...

... something got broken from updates -- but that jni version folder is good...and works for a lot of the Android and now is working for API 31 (Android 12)
:D
You did the development for this - and if the "core" is working, no need to deviate or discard it - ok - the newer Android Studios might be an issue (as you mentioned earlier - im not up to speed on that...)

- sound and music (good)
- controllers usb or bluetooth (good) (uses keymappings)
- interstitial admob adverts (perfect)
- asset loading (good)
- 2D speed / performance - as good as unity (or better), but with a smaller filesize!

Comp:

spacefractal

but Google, like Apple does, breaks things constactly and uses hours and hours and just to get stuff working again, again. Im just simply tired of it. so native stuff is out really. Sorry, but that it. Yes im might have discarded old stuff. but that is what its are now.

Howover we dont completly remove Android. But want to implement HTML5/JavaScript as a Android app instead, so we dont need to maintime multiply code or when stuff got changed.

So admob is still need those java stuff, which im believe can been converted as its are.

Im is currectly looking how gamecontrollers works. Its not working yet, but have property done the javascript part to detect controllers and buttons, but need to find out how to pass the string back to c++. When im have get this stuff working, then the same code would works just the same on Android with no changes required. Its actuelly the last main thing needs to do.

Im can also tell resize works much much much stable with html5/Javascript, which could crash very easy on Android (one of the many crashes is property due that). Im could example newer get windowred mode to work on Chromecast as its crahsed after a few window resize, so hence they are only on fullscreen.

Assest loading is a issue yet throught as im have not checked how this works, but anything is in a single data file, so of course the whole need to been downloaded first. But its only took few secs on a 65mb big game.

So the html5 is a lot of progressing..... Hence im like the platform and want to have the focus on that one now.

When that platform is fully working as intended, im will pass this to Android back (and its property could works on iOS too).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

Yes, but can you leave the android publishing button there, and have a separate one for your Android HTML5 or whatever/

I have 40+ apps on android. granted not all need many updates but still good to have...

Not much has changed or broken for me for android for a long time...
Ok, this new studio update is obviously a bigger update...
Comp:

MrPlow

BTW - i tried your game, looks very good on html5!
My desktop browser was not as smooth as my mobile browser...some small Animation jerks on desktop chrome.
but mobile was not fitting to the screen correctly... i could only 25% of window for game...
Comp:

spacefractal

im just updated. also Chrome can been very annoying, if its run from a cache rather than actuelly version (im was forced to clear anything recently to fix the issue.

The just uploaded version is v1.14.1 and hopefully its works as intended.

Here its run so smooth (flawless 60+fps) as its could on my windows machine and on a Android 12 motorola phone with both Opera and Chrome.

The main test has been on Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 on desktop as this is the browser installed by default.

Btw the focus as a test game is PowerUP Elevation. Im have not updated Snoppy yet using all changes. Snoppy is a game that run a little bit slow on purpose, due nature of the resolution its using (96x64px).

on mobile? which browser. Its clearly howover recommended to uses Chrome me think, dispite the cache issue im cant do anything with.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

MrPlow

I think i ran it on my phone samsung browser...probably older version...
Comp:

spacefractal

perforcement is ineeded slowere, but im do depend its can been variered from device to device and the browser on that device might have limited to such a fps to save battery power.

On the cheap huweiii Android 10, the game ran about 30fps. Im do should add a more clean 30fps version (im just need to add that option), but the game was still very playable.

Still, im really like html5 platform, which is something im have missed back from about 20 years ago: Doing browser games.

Kitty Hello

I could not hire anyone on fiverr to fix our Android troubles. So, maybe using an old Android Studio version, that sill works and then slowly upgrading the gradle version might give a clue?
Last resort: HTML5 :(

spacefractal

Bugger.

Plow can still updte his app using a quite older Android Studio throught.

Anyway im do personally have more fun with html5 currectly, its its can been slowere. Its depend on games doing of course.

Kitty Hello

I got it working, by starting an SDL project from scratch. I will now slowly move the Java parts back in. But hey, it's compiling :)

spacefractal

Kitty Hello

Hours of trying - the error comes when upgrading gradle from 7.1.0 to 7.4.1.
What are you doing, google!?

Luckily I zipped the project before the upgrade. Bad is - I can't open the unzipped backup again. AS crashes. Are people really working with this crap?

spacefractal

Im think Android Studio is stabile like hell :-D. Im miss the Android.bat days, which was much more easier. yes, we could uses older version, but this is as im said, a cat after mouse game with the big companies.

For me im must say html is more fun really. We still miss few thing, but after the fixes im have done, its playable. Only gamecontrollers is not working. but this is not about it in this thread.

MrPlow

Hi, Gernot
Do you need to have the gradle version so high?
I am compiling right now for api 31 with older gradle...

dependencies {
        //classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.4.1'
        classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.5.4'

gradle.wrapper.properties (file)
distributionUrl=https\://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-5.4.1-all.zip

I did need to modify for a new permissions bug...SDLGlbasic.java  (noticed high crash rate - so fix below should work)

Code (glbasic) Select
public static String getStringResourceByName(String aString, String aDefault) {
        //String packageName = SDLActivity.mSingleton.getPackageName();
        String packageName = BuildConfig.APPLICATION_ID;

Comp: