WIZ - RPG Dice thingy

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I don't know if anyone here plays table-top RPGs or any other board games for that matter (I don't play RPGs, but do play the odd game of Backgammon etc.) however, someone over at GP32X.com wanted a Wiz to host a dice rolling app. I knew it would be quick to create something like this, so I obliged and offered my services. It's the first public beta and may not be completely accurate (if anybody here knows their 1d6 from their 5d20, then you'll likely know!).

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/dicey.rar

If anybody (at all) is interested in a pc version, then I can upload that to my site too, but for now it's WIZ only.

I came. I saw. I played.

MikeHart

That looks very usefull.  :good:

Hatonastick

So does it use the Mersenne Twister or the built in GLB PRNG?  Choose your words wisely.  =)

J/k mate!  Love the idea though.  Not so much for RPGs, but board games in my case.  Ex-RPGer, rediscovered board games and the board games geek website a few years back.

Next version, 3D modeled dice using Newtons Physics (or for extra marks, your own engine) for 'realistic' rolling action and end results.  Can we expect that update in a few days?  =D  My work here is done!

PS Wouldn't mind trying it on the PC, unfortunately don't have a Wiz yet.

Ian Price

The realistic dice rolling in full 4D-o-vision with Hawking physics is already in. I just have to copyright and patent that bit, hence no pc release yet!

Actually, here you go - WIZ and PC all in one - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/dicey.zip

Don't blame me if you're up all night playing it though!
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Thanks to you I laughed and almost died coughing.  =D

Thanks for the download link.  Will grab now and have a play!

Ian Price

Nah, that's your smoker's cough. If you don't smoke, then it's a passive smoker's cough. Blame the nearest smoker. :P
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

Sorry for the double post, but I've updated Dicey a tad. It now includes d100 die and D-PAD controls.

Use LEFT/RIGHT to highlight arrow buttons and UP/DOWN to increase/decrease values. Press SELECT to roll. Or just use the touchscreen as per original version.

http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/dicey.rar

HEALTH WARNING: THIS APP MAY CAUSE YOU TO COUGH UP A LUNG.
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Wow, that looks really shiny.
They wanted to include a Poker game with the Wiz firmware that was written in GLBasic, but some countries seem to have a law against poker games... If you're done, you should send it to GP, though.

Ian Price

Another post. Another update...

App. now allows 10 dice to be thrown.

http://www.iprice.re...stuff/dicey.rar
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

Is there any site explaining this game? I've never heard of it before :/

Hatonastick

Quote from: Ian Price on 2009-Aug-27
HEALTH WARNING: THIS APP MAY CAUSE YOU TO COUGH UP A LUNG.
So it's a good idea to have one spare before you start! :)

Hatonastick

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Aug-27
Is there any site explaining this game? I've never heard of it before :/
There is no spoon..  Erm game! :)  It's just a die roller for table top games and RPGs.  Also if I'm remembering my RPG days well enough, it's not doing +/- correctly but I might be wrong as that was all a loooooong time ago. :)

PS Ian, where is Battle Cards? :)

Ian Price

Gernot, as stated, there is no game. The app just simulates dice rolling for any game that requires a die or dice. You can select upto 10 dice of varying denominations (from 4 pips upto 100) and then "add" bonus multipliers to them (for role playing games).

I'm not into RPGs and their rules, but the +, - and * seem to work correctly according to other apps I tried, and the requester for the app hasn't commented that they aren't working properly. However, time will tell. Nerds will definitely let me know if I'm wrong ;) :P  The multipliers perform their action on every die, not on the total of all the dice once rolled. So if you use 5 dice and +10, then you will get +10 on EACH one of the dice, so you get results plus 50 as the total. I think. :S

BattleCards is coming - it's just that someone asked for a dice app over on GP32X and I thought "Yeah, I can do that in a couple of hours" Once it was completed I was asked to add new features. Then again once the update was done. Hopefully this is the last version now. I don't want to do any more, anyway!

I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Till you do the 'sequel', Battle Dice.  =D

Kitty Hello