Great Games on old machines and remakes

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hey guys just this night another ZXSpectrum Game, made in Spain, from another people... I like a lot the video I see.

I leave the page of the project.
https://programbytes48k.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/fist-ro-fighter-lo-nuevo-de-retrobytes-productions/

erico

Oh my! That brawler looks superb! Can´t wait.

Ian Price

That fighting game looks pretty cool :)
I came. I saw. I played.

spacefractal

Graphics and game seens to look very nice and cool, and also very nice designed color uses. This is how Spectrum graphics should been used. But of course sound is sparse as Spectrum allways have been, except the nice launch sound.

Also its look like there is long ago before sam's journey for C64 is finished (as well the r-type spectrum style game).
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Back in Tatoad´s thread, we were talking about Gauntlet, I though it would be ok to bring the discussion here and maybe hear a few other opinions.
Like I said, I think Gauntlet did not age very well at all, and that is not about gfx at all.

I take the new mix Gauntlet brought was the 4 players thing, the rest was and is a bit bland.
It does not play well alone at all (imho) and it is very featureless, quite a simple game.

I think earlier 1985, T.N.K III was released and I think that, while not multiplayer, has a lot more to offer, and hangs fine nowadays.

What do you guys think? Ian?

Maybe I missed something, but the energy constantly dropping on gauntlet was a no-no to me as a "gimme all your money now" game.
I did play it a few times on arcade with friends, but meeh.

Ian Price

I agree that as a single player game Gauntlet isn't good. However as a multi-player game it has all the features it needs - action, tension, annoyance (somebody stealing/shooting food etc.). As a game for it's time it had great graphics and strong competetive gameplay like few others. Yes it was simplistic, but ALL the best multiplayer games are. The objective is simple - get to the exit, but getting to the exit was often far from simple.

I agree it has its flaws, such as the ever decreasing energy - which to be fair was still better than three lives in most games (and the game generally did last longer than many arcade games of the day). It worked both as a hindrance and a process to push the player forward.

I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea; but thankfully we have loads of other games that might float our boats. Elite constantly makes it into the top 10 of people's fave games in polls. I think that is a really shit game.

Anyway, Gauntlet - I prefer Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on XBox to the arcade original, and my son and I have spent many, many hours playing and replaying that, so I can't agree that it's a shit game if it gave us all that quality time together.

BTW I've never seen or played TNK III, so can't comment on the game itself. I've just looked at a Youtbe vid and it didn't wow me, but it's difficult to look back at old games you didn't know or play with any affection. Rose tinted glasses and all that...
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I see. TNK III was a multidirection top shooter (here at least similar to gauntlet), but your goal was usually up.
It resembles ikary warriors and frontline a bit, but just the tanks and the rotating joystick.
I thought it was a good take on the 1942/ 1943 style, specially me coming from taito´s The Tin Star.

Also, I usually like to think of games without the multiplayer thing, as pretty much all games can be fun with people regardless.

If the energy going down was not bad enough...you could still be IT (blue warrior is IT). :D

edit: I never saw that newer version...maybe I heard news or something, but never played it, will check it out.

mentalthink

I read something about Gauntlet (sorry I don't read all post), in my opionion, speaking about Gauntlet of 80's for me really don't like too much, and when I install in my CPC , my mother!!! what was those XD XD XD, the arcade perhaps have good graphics and you can play with some friend but in 8 bits I think was again a good name of Arcades and a bad game, another good example was Out run... bufff!!!

I see a new gauntlet some moths ago, and don't have bad look, nice 3D graphics but for me this game leave me a bad taste years ago, I know too much people like it a lot, but for me don't is a great game for remind.

spacefractal

I'm played Gauntlet on my c64 alone and it's was still fun as I'm remember. But SP might have works better on home ports.

I'm recently have seen gauntlet the legends (of remember title correct), which is dream cast like 3d, but framerate do stutter to much, often under 30fps.....
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

Here the latest gauntlet wannabe I have seen so far.
While it seems ok, I have grown a dislike for mixed gfx, like things are pixelated with few colors, then you have alpha transparencies all around producing billion colors, then there are tons of different pixel sizes, then then then.... argh! It must be a getting old thing. :D

spacefractal

its just a new style, hehe. mixing 16mit graphics with new graphics. The gameplay seens nicely.

erico

Yep, it seems to be a style LOTs of devs are going for.
But it really hurts my eyes to see a diagonal pixel... :O :'(

Either way, I have been smoothed out a bit these years on that subject and I even bought this one gauntlet clone, hammerwatch, to play with my brother.

The game is fine, but it is long and it is a kind of game you don´t want to start over, there isen´t much into level variation, even if you pick a different kind of player. We haven´t finished it yet and I doubt I can convince my brother to keep it going, specially since I addicted him into rogue-likes... :)

Latest we have been playing is the experimental builds of cataclysm dda. But then you get on the subject of time, and how a rogue can´t be multiplayer.

Off subject apart, maybe that could be a good game to play with your son Ian? They take 4 players and seem to work fine over internet.
If that is your or anyone´s here cup of tea, let me know. I would like to finish it, but I don´t want to do it alone.

PS: hammerwatch is a game that takes a long time to play, so that may be a difficulty in searching for friends to play. I guess the original gauntlet was also a long run game.

Ian Price

I have Hammerwatch already - bought it on STEAM when it first came out, but haven't had time to play it. My son has moved on from playing with his Dad nowadays - he tends to play XBox online stuff with his mates or MineCraft and Terraria (on pc and XBox). No other pc games interest him now. We used to play Worms as a family too; not any more :(
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

Yep, worms must have been the greatest family game ever. The xbox with friends seems to be the standard nowadays unfortunately? But I don´t know, I have changed a few youngsters mind about games, specially to thinking/hard games. But I guess things move. My dad is on his 70s and he will play me and my brother any pinball, real or digital, all the time we challenge...and the bastard have a way into it, I prefer to call it luck. ;)

mentalthink

Erico I suggest for your father the MamePinball, you have all tables in the market, Williams (for me the better) Bootleg and I think another, and really old tables from 40's.... Pinballs are awesome I don't know how many money I waste when I was young...

Speaking about Pinballs and turning again to old good times.... Pinball Dreams
, all the game is really good , this table is really really fun...