iOS 5.1, OSX Lion

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Hello

Dear Apple,

thank you for the new iOS 5.1 update that doe not really offer any benefits other than security fixes. I really enjoyed the requirement of 1.5GB XCode download of all the past updates.
But since iOS 5.1 I would require XCode 4.3.1, which requires OSX Lion for 24,- EUR that only runs on Core 2 Duo processors.
Thanks also for leaving my Intel Core Duo out of this update. I am very relieved that I don't have to worry about all this anymore, because from today on I will never purchase any product with an apple logo anymore.

Yours faithfully,
-Gernot Frisch

[edit] OK, I noticed that my Mini is 6 years old now and cannot run x64 code. I don't really see the need for this to run XCode 4.3.1, though.

[edit2]
Quote from: Qube on 2012-Mar-09
Im on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 - Updated iPhone4 & iPad 2 to iOS 5.1 and can still compile GBasic apps in XCode 4.2 (iOS 5.0 sdk) and run them on my devices with iOS 5.1 with no issue :)
Where is de problemo?  :whistle:
OK, apologies for running havoc, then.

Ian Price

Apple really are shooting themselves in the arse with all these updates and yearly revisions of hardware. They are just alienating their users and pissing everybody off. It's about time the consumer said enough is enough - the time will come. Fix and patch by all means, but stop with the constant updates and HUGE (slow) downloads.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

It is kind of strange that Apple is becoming more and more hated. Feels weird and almost wrong that it's almost completely swapped with MS. A decade ago would have been totally different (even 5 years ago).

Nice shiny things. That's what it is...

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Kitty Hello

I have an option on a Core 2 Duo Mac now. My sales from my iOS games are not that bad, but in the end it's a no-win, no-lose business.

Crivens

QuoteAll this effort for just breaking even
That would be nice! Honestly Apple are geniuses (for making loads of money for themselves)! Better off financially (by miles) doing a late night shift at BK... Still you wouldn't have the satisfaction of getting it published (and then dragged down by people who want menu buttons and the like...)...

Cheers

spacefractal

That happens when apple discounted 32bit support. So you must have a older Mac?

But it's nothing new.

EDIT:

Yes its is a PITY the older xcode wont work with newest IOS, but just remove eventuelly the newer featues. its simply to stupid by Apple.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

fuzzy70

It's typical Apple, new gear every 5mins it seems. Also their "You can upgrade your ram & HD but nothing else as we will be making that cpu obsolete or unsupported so don't bother as more money for us selling you a new mac"

My last Mac I bought was a Mirrored dual cpu G4, Makes an awesome server  =D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

monono

I was exactly there as they switched from ppc to intel. The years have past and I am not that idealistic anymore.
Please buy that offer you got. Would be a strange thought, that the developer who creates glbasic, has not the hardware I am targeting.
Leave me a note and I buy you the Lion :D. You´ve earned it. Even if you never looked into windows multi touch support  :D ( I know I am kind of the only one into this).

Or everybody who has not by now bought the decent glbasic software apps at the store just gets them now. Let´s make it a win business in the end. :whip:

erico

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Mar-08
I have an option on a Core 2 Duo Mac now. My sales from my iOS games are not that bad, but in the end it's a no-win, no-lose business.

It is the reason I´m so afraid of getting into I-thing games. (would feel like I´m paying to work for apple)
Other then having to invest on some expensive machines, I think I would only make a profit of it if I could come up with an ok/avarege game every month.
I really wished I could go on living out of making simple games, but to start it up I would probably need at least some 50k$ to be sure things could get to the point of paying off. Bank can help that, but interests here are on the 130% per year...so you imagine tha bomb :o

I better do a few tests on desktops and android first just to finger tip the watter.

"rant off"

Can´t you "sign in" with apple like developer/partner and get some free hardware?
After all, you develop a tool that allows people to develop content for them.

Crivens

QuoteCan´t you "sign in" with apple like developer/partner and get some free hardware?
Doubt it. You have to pay for the service every year so I doubt you can get the hardware free or cheaper. They are the biggest single player so they can afford to be arses. :)

QuoteAfter all, you develop a tool that allows people to develop content for them
And so do thousands of other people. All paying up. Apple pretty much doesn't care if a few don't take it up because of the costs as a tonne of other people will. Harsh but true.

The biggest annoyance is you *have* to use Apple hardware to publish really. It's not as if you can publish from a Windows PC or at least install OSX on a PC to do it (Hackintosh is capable of doing it (illegally I believe) but is a right pain for upgrading which seems mandatory if you use XCode). Out of interest now Apple are the biggest company in the world why are they not enforced to allow OSX on a PC (considering it is possible)? When MS were the big bad the governments couldn't do enough to make sure stupid things like removing IE or anti-competition rules were followed.

Total money making machine is Apple.

Cheers

spacefractal

just to confirm, I upgraded to Lion and xCode 5.1. Glbasic does compile nice to that. Of course no other features or such that tested.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Crivens

Xcode 5.1? Crikey I haven't even moved onto Xcode 4 yet...

Cheers

erico

Quote from: Crivens on 2012-Mar-08
Total money making machine is Apple.

Agreed.

But I asked about some kind on partnership couse I get to see a lot with microsoft around here.
Get their tools for free etc.

spacefractal

spelling, ooops. hehe. xcode was meant iOS 5.1

fuzzy70

OSX = BSD unix with Apple UI & drivers/apps. Works on PC fine via Hackintosh . There is one little chip on apple boards which the OS looks for to make sure it's apple hardware. Hackintosh fools the OS into thinking the chip is present.

Want the latest GFX card for your mac?, tough wait till apple says you can have it (normally after another better one has been released) or wait for someone to right a Mac compatible bios on the gfx card.

Basically they have a niche market & while people keep buying their new gear, which while expensive, works out cheaper than buying a PC with all the software you have purchased/invested in, they will continue on their merry way.

There is big money in Film/Music/Print/Video/Graphic design, most of which have a Mac in there somewhere. That is the market they cater for, small indies are a speck to them with which they care less about. I have owed various Macs (my 1st being the 128k B&W original when it came out) & it was then that Apple changed from being a "Hobbyist Company" with the Apple II to the way they are now. The consumer market is not a big concern really regarding Mac's to them, they have that area covered with iPads/iPhones etc.

One thing I wish Microsoft would take a leaf out of Apples book is OS pricing, 1 price (low price at that) & 1 version (may be 2 versions if they still make the server version) compared to Microsofts many versions (Higher price to stupid high price).

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)