[Game Idea] Game like Super Mario Kart : Battlemode

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I had the same PolyVector Affline issues with something I was working on a long while back too. I can't remember what it was now, but it wasn't Mario Kart related though.
I came. I saw. I played.

kanonet

Btw an idea how i would do it:
1. Create the track in one mesh like mental did it
2. pack all possible tile textures into one single sprite
3. load the mesh ina way that you can draw it with gldrawarrays
4. if you want to animate one tile, just update its texture coordinates on the mesh
5. draw the track with gldrawarrays ;)
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

matchy

The idea of a Mario Kart clone has got me experimenting with a 3D tiled racing track recently. Here's a quick test with bots opponents that only go in four directions. All sprites textures are created internally!
:good:

erico

Gee, super!
The fact that the other cars are going on the track is already ace to me! :good:
Do you have plans for that? or was it just a test?

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

matchy

:) No big plans although maybe a track editor tool. The were/can be set to free moving but I need working on cars getting back on track on some turns, so that's why they just act like on rails in the test.

Ian Price

That's lovely and smooth.   :good:

Are you currently painting a track sprite (or individual images) onto a 3D plane and then displaying that or is it just one big texture?

I came. I saw. I played.

matchy

They are individual sprites mapped on a 3d tile-map, unlike one big texture like snes game Astro Go-Go of FZero.