good old times

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmor

okee

You know you're getting old when you agree with everything on the list :)
DVD's especially, i paid for it so why am i forced to watch a lecture about piracy
forced to watch trailers etc etc
Android: Samsung Galaxy S2 -  ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 2
IOS: 2 x Ipod Touch (1G)

ampos

Ironic that the ones that doesn't pay for DVDs are the ones that do-not-see/can-skip the f*****ing anti-piracy announces and trailers.
check my web and/or my blog :D
http://diniplay.blogspot.com (devblog)
http://www.ampostata.org
http://ampostata.blogspot.com
I own PC-Win, MacBook 13", iPhone 3G/3GS/4G and iPAC-WinCE

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ocean on 2012-Mar-06
Similar anti-piracy warnings where included in rental VHS tapes as well....

At least you could fast forward the VHS ones  :D

There was one DVD I had which was ridiculous in that it took around 10 minutes from putting the disc in till getting to the film menu thanks to Anti-Piracy warnings as more adverts then was really necessary. So I made a point of putting it in then go & make a coffee & snack while it done it's thing. One of the Shrek films I think it was & while it was a mild annoyance to me my godson was not impressed  :bed:

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Ian Price

There's a lot of sarcasm and rose-tinted glasses here, but still quite amusing.

The question is - how many of us would switch what we have now for what he had back then? Not many of us, I'm sure.
I came. I saw. I played.

fuzzy70

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-06
There's a lot of sarcasm and rose-tinted glasses here, but still quite amusing.

The question is - how many of us would switch what we have now for what he had back then? Not many of us, I'm sure.

To me an ideal situation would be the technology & convenience of what we have today with the durability of what we had back then. Things used to last a lot longer I think & believe we are moving into a "Disposable" culture more & more. Sure you can't stop progress with new & better things coming out but I just wish they was built more solidly  :D

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

erico

I believe the difference is called "bureaucracy". :nana:

Ian Price

Quote from: fuzzy70 on 2012-Mar-06
To me an ideal situation would be the technology & convenience of what we have today with the durability of what we had back then. Things used to last a lot longer I think & believe we are moving into a "Disposable" culture more & more. Sure you can't stop progress with new & better things coming out but I just wish they was built more solidly  :D

Lee

To be fair, the disposable culture is down to the reduced cost of the items we use. When tech is new it costs a lot. After the initial year of breaking in new tech, the costs generally reduce significantly. The cost of a new VHS recorder when they first came out was between £500-£1000. At the end of their life you could pick them up for less than £50. The cost of repairing the machine when they first came out was significantly less than the cost to replace it in the event of a malfunction - not so nowadays. It is cheaper just to replace. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing - of course recycling of the waste materials is more problematic nowadays, but easily done.

I wouldn't return to the original hardware if you paid me - much as I love many old films and retro games; I'd much rather have (better, clearer) versions available for/on newer tech (eg DVD instead of VHS and DVDs/CDs and ROMs rather than dodgy cassettes/carts for my consoles and emulators).

Not only is new tech cheaper it's also generally much smaller too - meaning more space in my house for more of it!

As for reliability - other than recent DESIGN problems with the XBox 360, reliability has never really bothered me. I've never had any of my major appliances break down within the first 5 years or so of owning it. Maybe i got lucky, maybe I just take better care of my gear. Dunno.
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

Loading times slower? Hmm. Go back a bit further then. I remember waiting 20 mins or so for Neverending Story 128k to load on the Spectrum. Think I played the actual game less than that...

QuoteI wouldn't return to the original hardware if you paid me
:'( No don't say it! Not you!!! Heh, seriously though while I mainly agree there is something to be said for cool little games and not just a sea of FPS games. Although admittedly since the iPhone came along apps have seriously changed that around. It's like the good old days! :)

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Ian Price

There's absolutely nothing wrong with old games - I was talking about hardware.

I love retro games, but I also love new games too. But which is better? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!!!! ;)
I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

QuoteThere's absolutely nothing wrong with old games - I was talking about hardware
Fair enough. Thought you had gone to the dark side for a second...

QuoteI love retro games, but I also love new games too. But which is better? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!!!!
Come on retro games! Get in there! :)

I had loads of Spectrum and Atari ST hardware and software and then one day (even though I had by then bought a decent sized house down south and had the extra room) my parents just gave the lot away to a charity shop. I was honestly almost in tears... They couldn't quite get it meant so much to me even when I reminded them I programmed for a living so it meant even more about my humble beginnings... And they ditched my teddy bear and plastic crocodile... But that's another story...

The other day my sister in law had cleared out some of her old stuff. They were always geeky anyway (lots of Star Trek stuff like tricorders and the like) but the box of spectrum stuff was a nice surprise. Lots of old games (girls didn't pirate much stuff as kids it turned out - I was like a bloody drug dealer at the time...) and tonnes of cool hardware. Brought it all back. And a Speccy light gun! How cool is that?...

Cheers

Kitty Hello

very cool! I once had a lightgun for the Amiga. But I was too stupid to program it :(

The images didn't mention the loading times we had on old computers. "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE".
But for playability, the Super Mario N64 version is still the best ever, IMO.

Crivens

I had a lightgun on an old Grandstand thingy. Was basically pong type games, but also lightgun shooty pong square game! Awesome! Best thing about it was it looked like a proper SWAT type gun. Excellent (party on dude).

QuoteBut for playability, the Super Mario N64 version is still the best ever, IMO
I still have mine under the bed in my Cyprus flat. Might give it a go when on holiday next week. I remember when I bought that (15 years ago???? Seriously????) and I got the N64, Mario 64, and Turok. Cost more than £400 if I remember rightly. Turok on it's *own* was like £70+. And it was craptastic...

Cheers

Ian Price

QuoteBut for playability, the Super Mario N64 version is still the best ever, IMO.
I too prefer Super Mario 64 to any other Mario platform games, but I preferred Banjo Kazooie at the time (the second one was awful), due to it's sheer variety. I really love Paper mario on the N64 too - better than the Wii version IMHO.

I tried so hard to get into Turok. I failed miserably. It just felt like an empty shell of a game, with more exploring than fighting. Can't remember which one I have (#2 I think). I remember it being hailed as the second coming at the time. I still can;t see why.

I came. I saw. I played.

Crivens

QuoteI remember it being hailed as the second coming at the time
I believe it was because of the Dinos. I mean they did look pretty good at the time. Graphically it was pretty much as good as it got on a console really.

Overall though the main problem I had with the original Turok was nothing to do with graphics (fogging was pretty bad though) or even most of the gameplay (was an alright shooter), it was the respawning. Basically most FPS games at the time had a set area that would set off a monster or two. True more advanced ones sometimes had enemies that came after you when they heard or saw something, but most of the time it was when you entered a defined area. No problems there. And then when you killed them they died, and stayed dead. Any new monsters that came to an area were normally if you opened a door or at some point when the whole level respawned (say if you successfully accomplished something). If I remember rightly Turok monsters just respawned after a minute or so.

Worse was it would just spawn random monsters in random places. Right bad. But if you knew a monster existed in a set location (say behind a wall) and lobbed a grenade or somesuch over the wall or in the general area, then the monster would not die! It would only exist when you were right on top of it. Even a nuclear bomb effort of a weapon would have no effect. Destroy every atom for 2 miles and then a Dino would jump out from behind a rock 10 foot ahead. Sigh...

And yes Mario 64 owes me a very large portion of my life. And I didn't *quite* complete it either... Wonder if the memory stick still works...

Cheers