Ubuntu app store

Previous topic - Next topic

MrTAToad

Its finally been reviewed... And they want it as a source package rather than a binary one  :S

Kitty Hello

No way. Angry birds will never release the code.

MrTAToad

That's more or less what I said!

kanonet

QuoteOpen source and commercial apps

Ubuntu desktop apps can be open or closed source, and free or paid-for. You decide the price and the applicable licence.
http://developer.ubuntu.com/
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Slydog

Hmm, can only think of three possibilities:

• Somewhere you specified 'Open Source' when submitting your game
  • It is detecting that you are using somebody else's Open Source code, and their license says your project MUST be Open Source also
  • Are you sure you are on Ubuntu's site (kidding, but would be a great phishing scam!  "Just give us your source code . . .")
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

Kitty Hello

4. some stupid script kiddie "reviewed" the app and gave a nonsense answer. "tis is linux. u must give source, dude. we all one family...!!111!!eleven!!"

erico

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2012-Jan-16
4. some stupid script kiddie "reviewed" the app and gave a nonsense answer. "tis is linux. u must give source, dude. we all one family...!!111!!eleven!!"

:D

MrTAToad

It'll probably be months before I get a reply to my reply - so I think the Ubuntu App Store can be safely ignored...

Ian Price

They aren't exactly doing themselves any favours, are they.
I came. I saw. I played.

Falstaff

Sorry to necro this old thread but.. has anyone had any success publishing to Ubuntu's Software Centre? I was thinking of trying to release on as many platforms/stores as we can, and it would be nice to hit Linux as well.

MrTAToad

No, I never really got anywhere with it - the main problem is that they insist the source code is present so it can be compiled during  installation (or something) - which, of course is not really possibly unless Gernot gets a full Linux version up and running...

You could do it as an commercial package, but then you have do deal with the Linux packaging system which is absolutely awful.  There are no programs to do it for you - it has to be done manually...

r0ber7

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2013-Mar-17unless Gernot gets a full Linux version up and running...

I'm all for it, but I suspect he has other things on his mind.

QuoteYou could do it as an commercial package, but then you have do deal with the Linux packaging system which is absolutely awful.  There are no programs to do it for you - it has to be done manually...

If I ever do this, which I might (especially if that Ubuntu phone starts going, how is that going anyway?), I could make some scripts to ease the manual part. Everything can be scripted. :P

MrTAToad

That'll be the way to do it!