Helicopter Flight Simulator Game, 2012, alpha

Previous topic - Next topic

Schranz0r

add me on "web" and "3-Party"... i can write a new Bassmod wrapper for example :D
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Hemlos

Quote from: FutureCow on 2009-Dec-12
In summary, if it's to be a game rather than a real sim, please ensure that you don't end up sacrificing playability for accuracy. Show me one racing car game where you have to do something to make sure your seatbelt is done up for example and I'll show you a game that no-one plays.

Im a player on Battlegrounds Europe, and ill say this, there are definetly people who play because of the realism in the planes...however, the planes are simple, they are very accurate flying as the real thing would. But youre right, seatbelts would prolly turn some players off.

The guages, are what they are, and i need to be correct during development so as to not get confused about what is being researched and made.

S!

ps. schranz youre on the lists now, and about the bassmod...sounds cool, but i dont think we need this? PLAYSOUND will work on any platform?

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Schranz0r

Yepp, PLAYSOUND are multiplatform safe
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

FutureCow

Ocean,
I was just trying to say that I - as a person who knows only that planes tend to fly and have and engines  - will probably have a different take on it to someone who actually knows about planes. I didn't intend to suggest that you (or anyone else who really knows about planes) want the game to be a certain way.
I have a deep respect for game makers getting advice/suggestions/etc from people who really know about a game's subject, I'm sure any input you could give to the realism aspects of the game will help to make it a better end product.

I'll go now before I manage to put my foot in my mouth again  =D

Hemlos

Sorry i havent wrote here in a while..

Ive been bashing my head against the wall trying to obliterate mr. gimbal-lock for good.

I think i found a solution, and i am currently in the process of testing.....
What ive found, is how to rotate the actual vertices of an object, using a shader.
This should eliminate the need to use GLBasic(opengl rotate) x_rotation.

So far i have the roll working...now i need to figgure out how to merge this with the other 2 rotations, pitch and yaw.

This is only one method using a shader...
I also have an idea to completely eliminate angles, and directly translate a quaternion matrix into a shader to rotate all vertices directly in the gpu....its a brainstorm, but it just might work because in the gpu, a vertex is actually readable as a vector.
Since a vertice can be read as a vector, i can try to use the quaternion matrix to multiply with to automatically rotate the vertices of the object.
And thats exciting!
:good:

Hemlos

Quote from: Ocean on 2009-Dec-19
exciting indeed what you might be digging up there.  Would this method (if it works) still be general enough in the OpenGL world that most systems out there could run it?

cheers
Ocean

Yes, it can run on other systems.
However, im only considering the fact that it works on an old 3d card, an nvidia gforce 6(6800gt) .
Also, i think i will need help referencing a quaternion matrix to rotate a vertice matrix...so chances are...No it will never be done unless i have some stroke of luck and make the algorithm work.

Hemlos

Dear everyone interested in the "A flight sim game 2010"
Sorry i have not been active here.
Ive been stumped by the gimbal effect of 3d objects.

Good(or better) news...I was taking a shower, and had a dataphiny!
I solved the gimbal problem, theoretically, by using a different way to render everything.
**6dof should be achievable soon***
I will need to start from scratch...and i will still be able to use the Quaternion library.

Im shooting for a project start date: January 1, 2011.
Maybe sooner, if i can finish a different project( dice game for iphone ).

It will be a fresh start so to everyone whom is still interested in helping with this project..
Im gonna be going solo with the project background stuff.
However, if you are still interested in beta testing and sharing your ideas...
...feel free to continue participating as i keep the thread updated with more info.

Also, The goal is different now:
It will be the creation of a 3d flight engine, not an actual game.
My goal will be to sell the game engine.

To prove the functionality, I will create a small game with it myself....a helicopter combat flight simulator.
The possibilities will be endless(a programmer would be able to create a "freespace"  genre, or race cars.)

Hemlos

I came back to the project, this year, and was overwhelmed by its sheer size..
....LOL i need to spend a month sorting it out before i attempt to code in it again.
Its at about 240kb of code, and its just a heli to fly around on a small map. :puke:
I recompiled, and to my dismay(it worked when i last compiled it)...Not good...I get this message now... :blink:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hemlos

Still here, still keeping this alive.
Just a little update on progress.......none directly.
However, SpriteZ3d lib, and Object Analyzer tool are going to be the projects that push this sim into the future.
And, there will be shader technology added for some nice effects.
It has been a learning experience to say the least, and i think i have the lighting system in order too.

mentalthink

My name_:  thunderWings,Courage & Honour  :-[

Hemlos

Helicopters dont have wings  :puke:

mentalthink

sure?¿....
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53434000/jpg/_53434613_jex_1077565_de27-1.jpg

=D =D I don´t read the post completly, I think the game have airplanes too...  :nana:

Hemlos

I foloowed up on your idea...this is what i got..

Thunderwing is a transformer dudes name..

Thunder  Blade is a sega game, and they followed up with Super Thunder Blade
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Thunder_Blade

erico

But did you tell microsoft about the problem?  :P

Now serious, that post was beguinning of last year.
Is the code working now without crash?

Hatonastick

Blades of Thunder?  Whirligigs of War?  Corkscrewing Blades of Carnage? =D

Seriously though I love air combat simulators/games, although my favourite period would be WWI by a long shot I'm hoping to being able to play this one day.

PS I used to play Thunder Blade at the arcade.  At the time I thought they were fun.  Wonder if they still would be.  Not all arcade games that I have fond memories of have stood the test of time.  Anyway mostly what was cool about that game was the semi-cockpit style cabinet.
Mat. 5: 14 - 16

Android: Toshiba Thrive Tablet (3.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (4.1.2).
Netbook: Samsung N150+ Netbook (Win 7 32-bit + Ubuntu 11.10).
Desktop: Intel i5 Desktop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Win 8.1 64-bit).