Develop Android apps on Android

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

Now you can develop your own Android apps on your own Android device -http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/develop-android-using-aide-video

I'm not really interested in that, but I'd seriously love to be able to develop GLBasic apps on an webOS/Android tablet. To be able to code/compile/test an app on the target hardware would be a fantastic boon for GLB.
I came. I saw. I played.

MrTAToad

I can imagine the number of wrists aching if trying to program on an Android phone :)

Ian Price

You can use a BlueTooth keyboard set up for that if you really wanted to develop on a phone. Obviously this is geared more for tablets than phones/mobile devices.
I came. I saw. I played.

Minion

Quote from: Ian Price on 2012-Mar-08
You can use a BlueTooth keyboard set up for that if you really wanted to develop on a phone.

This is what I intended to do so I can get my kids to use my interpreter on my phone, but plugged up to the big TV

Wampus

Mobile programming? Insane. I love the Galaxy S2 as a smart phone but coding with it would be flippin' horrid. I definitely see something like AIDE making use the Asus Optimus Transformer Prime, however.

erico

Damn I guess I´m old as I need 2 or 3 big monitors to properly do anything :(
Can´t even use the laptop monitor alone.

Nathan

Holy crap that's an incredible IDE for a phone/tablet environment, but will anyone actually produce something with it?
And completely crazy at the same time. :blink:

quangdx

Back when I owned a windows mobile phone, a T-Mobile Vario II
I purchased a programming language call Pocket Programming Language,
it let me write code on a PC to compile to PPC, but best of all it came with a full SDK with IDE on the device itself.
It meant I could code where ever I was and got ideas.

I've been wanting something like this for ages, but since I've gone from Windows Mobile back to symbian, a Nokia E71 and now a Nokia E6, the only option I could find was Python. Which I don't like the look of.

I'm been looking at http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/ for the iPad, which looks awesome, but due to Apple's restictions, coding for it would be more for fun than anything else.

Now the prospect of coding fully functioning apps on Android, my persuade me to get an Android phone.
Something with a keyboard, possibly one of the Motorola Milestones, hopefully they'll release a GSM version of the Droid 4 and then I can code whenever I like.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

Ian Price

That Codea looks amazing - shame Apple are so restrictive.

You don't need a keyboard on the phone - you can get mini BlueTooth keyboards and even ones that roll up so that they are easy to take with you.

Come on Gernot, we need a GLB IDE for Android! Show them that GLB really is a force to be reckoned with. =D
I came. I saw. I played.

quangdx

Codea has gone from strength to strength, people have created sprite editors and music engines that will output code that you copy and paste into your own project.
They should probably look into a Codea player app which is free, so other people can use your code.
But that will probably be against Apple's restrictions.

I like having a keyboard on the device as it means less to carry around and I don't have to find space to fold out a keyboard. a separate keyboard means having to put the device down or the keyboard down to use it.
But when the keyboard is on the device, I can type with my thumbs while holding it, so I could code standing up on a busy train for example.

a GLBasic IDE for Android would be the most amazing thing ever.
Asobi tech - the science of play.
Spare time indiegame developer.

MrTAToad

Unfortunately 3rd party IDE's don't get very far...

Ian Price

Quote from: MrTAToad on 2012-Mar-12
Unfortunately 3rd party IDE's don't get very far...
Indeed. It's a real shame that we're still waiting for the completed Mac IDE as that was coming along really nicely :(
I came. I saw. I played.

mentalthink

I continue whit GlBasic... too much complicated the Android languaje... and burn my eyes in the 3.2 " Screen...  :x