Future of GLBasic...?

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

Hi,

I was wondering what is in store for the future of GLBasic Gernot, what is the feature roadmap that we can look forward to?

I personaly would like to see Shaders and possibly LOD controlable landcape rendering at some point?

What is your take on things, longterm Gernot?

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

In longterm I plan implementing things that might be missed by other programmers. If you want shaders, I'll put in shaders. LOD landscapes from a heightmap? Might implement this as well.

However, GLBasic is quite mature now. You can do anything you want with it. Some parts might need imporvments which is what I focus on mostly, now. Currently, I'm beginning to write games myself for these reasons:
-find minor bugs
-change/add feautures for more productivity
-focus on spreading GLBasic / expand community

Creating a program is one thing, using it daily is another. So, you can be sure: Now that I've started to actually work with it, you can benefit from all my experience.

Also a Mac port will be due sonner or later. I'm quite unsure how the x86 Macs will impact the market, so I'm still waiting before I get one.

bigsofty

Thanks for the reply Gernot, Im not desperate for any specific feature (I enquired more due to interest), which says something for the current feature set. ;)

A game eh, what type are you writing?

Ian
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Right now I finished a Scramble remake in vectrex style. In showroom soon. Then I plan using the 3DJARCK thingy to write a 3D jump&run action adventure game. Lot of work, though,

mikiex

Its interesting you mention vectrex, playbasic which I guess you are familiar with has a load of commands for vector graphics (kind of shame the lines are not antialiased)

Then again it is easy to use texture mapped polys for lines also - for a cheap glowy effect