Chaos Rematch - WIP thread

Previous topic - Next topic

r0ber7

I should make a schedule like that! I used to do that, but lately I've just been winging it, adding stuff here and there without any clear focus. You inspired me, sir. Also, good luck with the Kickstarter, if it happens.  =D

Wampus

I'm going to make this my One Game a Month project for March. That schedule I wrote up went out the window. No progress on this for ages. So, to drive myself insane I'm going to force things by trying to get something playable out by the end of March / very early April. The release will be focused on core game mechanics, so a milestone release only. Still, at least its something...

erico

That can be a great push!
Let us know if you do set up some kind of blog there so I can cheer you up! :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: Wampus on 2013-Mar-05
I'm going to make this my One Game a Month project for March. That schedule I wrote up went out the window. No progress on this for ages. So, to drive myself insane I'm going to force things by trying to get something playable out by the end of March / very early April. The release will be focused on core game mechanics, so a milestone release only. Still, at least its something...

Good luck! I know the feeling...

Wampus

Erico I do have a blog related to this game. I started it in November, did almost nothing with it since, then started again because of doing this game this month. Here is the link to Chaos Rematch dev blog. Any kind of comment on what I'm doing this month would be appreciated. Stops me feeling like a total hermit. Hah.

Quote from: r0ber7 on 2013-Mar-06
Good luck! I know the feeling...

Maybe that's normal with larger game projects like your (fantastic) game. Working alone there is so much to do. It can feel endless.

I often have a daydream where I imagine being able to repeat the same day over and over with nothing changing except whatever game I'm working on, so I'd actually have the time to start and finish the kind of projects I'd love to do, plus learn any new technologies I'd need to do them.

erico

I was watching the video there...heck, I never cease to be amazed at the things you did there!
I´m marveled at the line-of-sight part. :good:

r0ber7

Quote from: erico on 2013-Mar-06video

Wait what, video?

*checks*

Nice. Liking the music as well. And, err, Darwin looks a bit creepy. :D

BdR

Quote from: erico on 2013-Mar-06
I was watching the video there...
Wow, the 3D isometric part in the video looks really cool! You could do a game with just that isometric engine. :good: Like a Marble Madness type game, or Snake Rattle 'n' Roll or Kablooey/Bombing Islands etc.

Wampus

OK, so I've been thinking. I've let this project go into stasis for long enough. I think its time to get it done and let it go.

Part of what has been keeping me from progressing is I've built all these nice little routines for the game, i.e. particle engine, field of vision, scaling for any device with texture remapping, multiplayer, etc. However, I haven't got the basic gameplay worked out - how the thing will work - and doing that using the framework I've built would be a little slow. It adds a layer of complexity that has to be dealt with at every step. This is my solution to quick development: I'll build a prototype of the game for PC, concentrating on just the gameplay mechanics. I'll keep very simple graphics. Real simple. No fancy animation as such, no audio wizardry, etc. That way I can work out how the core game will work first - the creature stats, AI and menu system - tweaking it to sure its fun for single player / multi player. After that has been done, well then that's the time to put it into the framework I've built for the final thing. At least I'll know the game itself works then, before I make it pretty.

Feel like I'll finally make some real steps towards getting this available.

Ian Price

As long as it sees the light of day it doesn't matter about niceties for now. They can always be added later ;)
I came. I saw. I played.

MrPlow

Wow!
Look super!!!

I used to play all of Gallops games...up until LSN (laser squad nemesis) lost its server and community died away i was a avid fan of the game...Looking forward to this remake!
And that particle engine stuff! holy smoke batman!

Comp:
Speccy-48k, Speccy-128k, Amigas, PCs

Wampus

Laser Squad Nemesis was a lot of fun. Played quite a bit of that back in the day.

Incidentally the control scheme for Chaos Mages (previously, Chaos Rematch) will be a bit like the recent XCOM games.

Although I want to keep it simple I think I have to build even the basic prototype with multiplayer working from the outset. Adding it later will be much harder otherwise.

MrPlow

What was your tag in LSN ?
I blew u up a few times!
Comp:

Wampus

Hahaha no doubt. I got blew up a lot of times.  :-[ It was Ragaril, Wampus or Fibble. I can't remember which one but those are the usual tags I go by.

MrPlow

Which reminds me...An email to email game services exists at the moment for it - I need to sign up for few games ....
Comp: