LD 48h game programming competition - WIN Android Tablet!

Previous topic - Next topic

kaotiklabs

Shall we participated solo or jam is also allowed for our contest?
Vote Cthulhu! Because the stars are right!!!!
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Wampus

You can do either; the 48 hours Compo or the 72 hours Jam.

Jam is a lot more flexible. Pretty much anything goes so long as its based on the set competition theme. IMO if you're going to be working alone the Jam would be less enjoyable than trying to go all out for the Compo.

Okee here is a top 50 from Ludum Dare Compo 21 - Theme was Escape: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-21/?action=top

Looks like there were just shy of 600 entries. There will probably be more this time around because of the 10th anniversary thing.

Slydog

I think kaotiklabs was wondering if 'jam' entries were eligible for Gernot's prize.
I was wondering that too. 
Are the 'jam' entries judged and rated?

I would expect 'jams' NOT to be eligible, since then there's two LD contests going on, and the 'jam' is much more liberal on the rules.

Both allow the use of your existing libraries. For the main LD, you would have to publicly post the library code ahead (or during?) the contest.  (ha I have no problem releasing my ENTIRE library, except I wasn't expecting guests and would need to tidy up a bit first!)  Also, you need to include your entire game's source for the main LD contest.

I may enter the 'jam' side of things, as I can't imagine starting AND finishing a game in 48 hours . . . WITHOUT using any of my current game's code.  It's the weekend!  No time to program!   :booze:  :puke:  :shit:  :bed:
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

kaotiklabs

Yep, I also prefer JAM is admited because I really suck at graphics xD

Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

Wampus

OIC  :-[

Its awesome that there is a competition for GLB here as well as in the wider LD compo. Heck of a prize, too. If Jam style isn't eligible for GLB, would there be a way to convince you (all) to try the Compo 24 48 hour style instead? The Jam seems easier but I question that. Think about these two things:

1) If you divided the overall rating your game might get by the time spent, would 72 hours instead of 48 really generate a game that was 1.5 x better and worth all the extra time you had? If not, maybe sticking to the 48 hour style will be more rewarding overall.

2) Using your own libraries and framework with longer to do so is closer to how you normally work. This should be different - something fresh. Trying to rush things as quickly as possible with limited resources is (probably) a break with the norm and therefore will help your coding in unexpected ways. Its also a lot of fun. I didn't expect it to be when I tried it a few weeks ago but it was.

matchy

I usually wait until the last day and will again because I haven't really planned for it but will at least consider it, like read rules and then, if everything is okay, commit.

So is that Android tablet the officially recommended to buy for GLBasic development?

erico

Quote from: matchy on 2012-Apr-18
So is that Android tablet the officially recommended to buy for GLBasic development?

That tablet is what Flash Gordon recommends for android GLB =D =D

backslider

Is it allowed to use the GLBasic EntitySystem? Because the rule is, that all the code must be written in the 48 hours.
Or can I pack the EntitySystem into a .gbal-file? :D Then it's a library.   :good:

cheers

Kitty Hello

No idea about the entity system. Try asking on the LudumDare IRC chat: irc.afternet.org/#ludumdare.

I once did a 3D entry w/o the entity, and it was a bit hard, because 3D requires a lot more graphics and tweaking to get right.

2.5 days left to warm up.

Slydog

From the Ludum Dare Rules and Guide:
(Under the 'Special Competition Exemptions' section)

QuoteBase code and personal code libraries are allowed, but should be declared and shared with the community prior to beginning your entry. To do this, make a blog post.

So yes, the EntitySystem would be allowed, IF you post it and make it available to everybody, to keep things on a level playing field.  This must be done before the competition (or a least before 'beginning your entry').  That's if Gernot allows it to be posted publicly.  This would go for your personal libraries too I suppose.
My current project (WIP) :: TwistedMaze <<  [Updated: 2015-11-25]

kaotiklabs

So, are 'jam' entries eligible for the prize??
Ia Ia Cthulhu F' tang!

backslider

I think for this LD48 I will use 2D or 2.5D then, because I think it will be too crazy create 3D models, write code and produce some music and sfx in 2 days.  :good:

I'm really curious! :)

Wampus

How are you all going to approach managing time?

Because the competition starts at Friday at 6pm pacific standard time for me this is my plan:-

- I'm going to do game design Friday night and maybe start some framework code.
- Try to sleep
- Saturday code all day, trying to get the basic game finished.
- Try to sleep
- Sunday work on graphics, music, sound and play testing until the clock stops at 6pm.

I doubt things will go so smoothly. Its helpful to have some rough time table idea though, no? :)

erico

yep, pre-production and schedule can all be set before, as well as title and structure code.
You do have a good plan!

I ´m still on the ´matchy´s side of conduction, can´t guarantee until last second.
Should that goes on ok and I commit to it, it sure will be hell, will try the cinema approach on the project.
Usually Russian metodology to the extreme! hehe

Should we watch this thread as it will be fun if it all goes fine we get a set of comunication between us :good:

Wampus

Quote from: erico on 2012-Apr-19
Should we watch this thread as it will be fun if it all goes fine we get a set of comunication between us :good:

I think that is a great idea, to keep track of what's happening.