[Game Idea] Game like Super Mario Kart : Battlemode

Previous topic - Next topic

Schranz0r

Hi freakz :)

I have a gameidea, not realy new, but i think it's a cool gamemode:

This kind of game in GLBasic with maybe NewtonSDK would be cool!
You welcome to help!

A little community game?!
I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

erico

Love it...reminds me of  xtreme racer on the amiga....add a pinch of stunt car racer.
I have read a bit of race code like lotus these days and the excellent snippet mr.T did.

But on this case...would code 3d be better? Or to try out a 2d technik would be easier? Just some thoughts

Schranz0r

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

mentalthink

I think better use Box2d and 3D, really you can make a fake physics whit this kind of game...
i want help, in fact I'm thinking doing something similar from a long time ago, but always the time...
But whit 2D Box runs in all platforms...

and about Bullet?¿ The engine it's wrapped, only need some little touch for working in mobile devices... I try a couple of time to make a port, but really sometimes C++ makefiles and all this things are really confuse.

Comment me, for 3D graphics I can help you (in weekends)

erico

Nice. So we have some approaches to the thing...what abou a track editor and the AI?
Would it be plain 2d on ground or some 3d going on height...bullet is nice :)

matchy

erico

Great queztion... I can help too...what is needed.?
Pz. Damn mobile tapping..

Marmor

we need mode 7 .
3d with texturefiltering is possible and imho the fastet solution.
:whistle:

Schranz0r

I think 3D is the coolest solution! ( lowpoly?! )

I realy like the N64 Version of Mariokart the battlemode is so fun  :good:
Bullet is wrapped ? i miss something?

PC:

mentalthink

Yes Schranz0r, bullet it's wrapped but don't works on mobile devices... (but it's possible use box2D, I don't try yet  but not i's complex... really it's make the "real game" collisions and all this things in a 2d World, after you only have to do the translation at 3D world... sometime ago, I did a car racing game whit this technic but don't was finished beacuse I don¡t know how make the AI of the enemies...)

About low-Poly yes, but the graphics appears nice... I make a lot of test and GLbasic can move a very good number of polys, make a game like this it's very very factible...

I find a very very very previous stage of the code... I did the cars nice and some Scenarios, but I forget this files... But you can see the idea about using box2D and 3D... for add the 3rd Axis, it's possible use getpixel in example or measuring some points of the scenarios... I think not it's too  much hardest make a fkae 3d Physics... really don't works exactly 3D but works...

Put the screen to 1600x1200, else you can see the 3D viewport coplete...

PS: In the forum I think in 2d Snippets, a example for a car whit physics it's do it... works very very fine, I think can be very intersting look this.

Marmor

entitydistance is faster and will work also on mobiles because its only some math .
the level - car collision needs a proper solution .
for car- car / car-bullet / and level-shoot collison  a distance math is better as a lib which not working on all targets

car-level collisions testing is a bit complex because the level isnt flat and have some extras (tunnel etc.) onboard.

matchy

It seems it would be easy to use box2d as long as the playing field is leveled. So side slanted roads, bridges and tunnels are okay but not bumps and some exceptions to ramps and hills.

mentalthink

No Matchy I think make some jumps and ramps not it's complex... if you make the game in 2D, like I did, imagine you put a box in some part of the circuit, when the car 2D collides, you say... I have speed X then the jump it's X*2, or the equation needed...

Another way it's put all the circuit in a only way straigth line, when you pass in the 2D world, you go drawing in real time in this line what appends whit the altitudes in the circuit...

For draw altitudes in 2D it's easy , you can dram a ramp, whit a degradate...

All this ideas I don't test yet, but have to works... really not are 3D physics, but the player don't think if this movement it's real... it's nice then it's ok... at least I think at this manner...

ps: @Matchy , I'm waiting you send me the drawing for your game  ;), I don't send nothing yet for this.

matchy

Astro GoGo on the SNES is a favorite game and I'd like to start off like that.

mentalthink, I would like to think about his game more but after I finish my current game now that you mention it. You probably didn't hear from me as I had a break over the Easter holidays break but I suppose I'd better start an update blog for that now.  :whistle:

Wampus

Oh, had an idea similar to this and ran into trouble with it. Click here to see the thread ( TLDR Drawing so many tiles was very slow )

While writing Porcupop I found a way to fix the slowness issue. If you need a routine to draw the tiled map very fast I could write something to do that and others could dissect and use it how ever they want.