Unusual Adventure - test it out

Previous topic - Next topic

Darmakwolf

[Updated 4/21/2013!]

Hey there! My upcoming game is called Blobo's Unusual Adventure. It's a 2D sidescroller with retro graphics. SO RETRO in fact... that it's in a unique monochromatic style! (Don't ask why.... I was bored, ok?)

This test is mainly for you to tell me if it works... I just implemented a command-line SID player the game uses to play chiptunes, and it's working great for me (SidplayFP library.) There are 4 demo maps to play, they're just cheesy test maps with little depth to them - I was mainly testing ladders and dynamite. The editor is fully functional, but I have no time to explain how the editor works before work, I'll update this later. The final level was me testing the limits of dynamite and chain reactions... have fun, let me know if you find a glitch!

(Executables only atm, source when it's complete.) I expect it to be done within a week!

Instructions:

Press NEW to play. X is jump, use the arrow keys to move about.

EDIT lets you make a new map or load an existing one. I modeled the editor after Little Big Planet - as in you move about the level as the character while editing. In edit mode, use O to open the objects list or middle click. Ctrl opens the solid-or-air picker, and the scroll wheel is a quicker way of going through tiles. Press tab to switch to and from monster-placing mode.

SPACEBAR saves the map. M selects a SID tune to play for the map, which will play immediately. T lets you pick where the currently moused-over tile will teleport the player to (it lets you pick another map, as in the end of a level.) Most tiles have their own special attributes, like spikes, so many things just work by placing them. Solid or air is important though. Have fun! (Game loads start.uam as the first level.)

p.s: use C in the editor to float through solid walls for convenience.

(I'll attach the latest version to this first post as well as the latest post so you don't have to go to the last page to get it.)

erico

Works fine here.

Maybe the player control could use some tuning?
Climbing speed felt a bit slow.
I noticed on the bomb run level the explosion sound did´t play for all the explosions.

Overall it is really great! :good:

mentalthink

Very Very nice game!!! the colors... well I think the graphics are really good, and black in white are very nice to see...

About playing I like a lot, rebember something like mario... the enemies I like a lot, and the mapping it's fun to play...

I think I found a bug... I think it's the 3rd or 4th Stage, when you launch a charge explosive and finally explode all the backgrounds... well I think you idea it's you have to run more than the explosions, jumping in determinated places... I fall out to the bottom part of the screen where don't have any tile..

At the first time I go the the rigth and when a huge explosion happends this kille me... but at the second try, I leave explode all the backgrounds and I have the player whitout exit, I can jump over the upper tiles because the jump don't arrives, and if I go to right and left I can stay here all the time , the player does'nt die...

About the game again..... really really nice... I hope you make a port for mobiles, only this it's a personal opinion the player O don't like too much the design, but really it's complex make a player whit feeling, whit it's a character, make a ships or aliens launching balls it's more easy in this aspect...

Really Cool... and very very Fun!!!

PS: Please you can comment how works the audio player, the Sid player, I look your post about FMod, and yestarday a try a lot of things whit the DLL but don't works.. I read something about you call whit shellCommand but this don't works on iPhone or Android, ins't?¿

Darmakwolf

the included levels are not intended to be shiny or well tested, they're for demonstration. I will fix ladder speed tonight, as well as sfx for chain reactions. The best way to check for bugs is using the level editor to put the character in unusual situations. Also sidplayer is a windows only command line tool, so it won't work on mobile. Feel free to make tiles or enemies if you want and I will put them in and credit you :P

mentalthink

Ah Ok Darmakwolf, I don't know only was for test, sorry... then not problem...

About the graphics... don't worry... this weekend I will do a couple (now we have a Job forum  :D :D :D), don't mind I try to make  a couple, I think I have a model (for another game I have in waiting mode) I think can be work nice in your game...

Darmakwolf

Tonight I added:

A MUCH nicer "now playing" window upon SID music change. The old one was hard to read.
Implemented better per-pixel collision detection. It initially broke the game, but I fixed it. Movement is smoother.
Ladder climbing speed is significantly increased.
SID is fully integrated and working properly.
Made a test level that uses just about every game feature for testing.

[Attached!]

matchy

It's great and I enjoyed testing it although can only get up to bounce room and miss the top layer of invader looking things and there's no double jump to get 'em so I don't know but overall cool.

Darmakwolf

Glad you like it matchy! As with the other demo levels, the disclaimer is "its just for testing and it is not polished or supposed to be finished." If you don't like something in the testing level, use the fully functional level editor and fix it :P

Once I finish making all the enemies and tiles I can work on making official levels. Also those "invader things" are extra lives :)

Darmakwolf

Mentalthink: I black-and-white-a-tized your sprite and put it in the game as an animated floating enemy that follows you! You can only kill them by leading them into water.

mentalthink

Jeje Darmakwolf glad to show something mine in your game... but if you want I launch the render in black and white... leave 5 minutes  :P and I put here all the animation it's 25 Frames( I always use this number of frames for each pieze of animation)...

Regards

Darmakwolf

Quote from: mentalthink on 2013-Apr-19
Jeje Darmakwolf glad to show something mine in your game... but if you want I launch the render in black and white... leave 5 minutes  :P and I put here all the animation it's 25 Frames( I always use this number of frames for each pieze of animation)...

Regards

Thanks Mentalthink! I am sticking with a couple frames to keep the same style as the other enemies - simplistic.

Darmakwolf

New features:

*Various bug fixes*
*Added Vector Spirit monster*
*Added vertical moving platforms*

The platforms were hard to make, because technically they're a "monster" entity, but they move up and down and collide with blocks and switch directions. The hard part was making it so it doesn't shove the player through tiles. Included is a couple test maps (not meant to be polished or perfect.) You kill the spirit by getting it to follow you into water. I also improved a few rendering algorithms. This game is really coming along :)

Ian Price

I haven't had chance to test later versions, but I enjoyed playing the first one. I really love the greyscale pixel look :)

I think the main character could be softened up a bit (it could be mistaken for a KKK follower!), but other than that it's a good start).

:)
I came. I saw. I played.

erico

I tried the latest.
Player control is much better now but I still feel something strange on the jump movement.

Darmakwolf

Quote from: erico on 2013-Apr-20
I tried the latest.
Player control is much better now but I still feel something strange on the jump movement.

The jump movement is purely integral, there's no floating-point precision, that's likely why. In another project I did movement that was precise to 0.0001, but I ended up having major collision detection problems...

For all intents and purposes though, this current method works for now. If you'd like to change it when I release the source code go ahead, but it will not be easy with the way I've written physics.