Virtual Box Alternative (VMware Free) VMWare Player

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalthink

Hi guys I don't know if you use Virtual Box becuase It's free, but you can use a very good alterntaive VMware Player, really it's for pay but in personal edition you can use without problems... and for free... I'm testing Ubuntu into windows 7 with aero and works very fine.

fuzzy70

I think VM Ware player has always been free but not 100% sure, I think VM Workstation is the paid version with a lot of extra features. I have been using Player for quite a while as it has accelerated DirectX which allows it to run some powerful apps that Virtual Box struggles with or cannot handle, for example I saw on their site VM Player running 3DS Max very smoothly.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

I think yes Fuzzy but I never take a look to Vmplayer... I think it's much better than Virtual Box, but I continue with the same problem my Linux App doens't works... I installed all the lib, but says something about SDL and Sync... really I don't know what happens, with Vistual Box, under Macintosh I had the same result.

fuzzy70

I had that problem as well with regards to SDL, I don't remember a sync problem though. I built a new PC a few months back & as of yet I have not had a chance to reinstall Linux until I get another Hard Drive (or use one of my old spares floating about).

I do like Linux a lot but find myself in Windows over 90% of the time due to the amount of software I have invested money & time into in which has no Linux version or equivalent.

Lee
"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
- "These go to eleven."

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

mentalthink

I'm interested in Linux basically for the new Steam Market.. I think develop for PC can do more money than AppStore, and the thing says Apple, now we have to use only the SDK5... I think apple are very sure of themself... We have to look what happens with the new S.O of Samnsyng and the Firefos OS for cheaper devices... More easy and without all this restrictions...

MrTAToad

SteamOS is now out, and should be possible to install in VirtualBox

mentalthink

Yes I tried make 2 days ago, but seems the servers goes at full... I don't know if the GLbasic linux compiled works, at least for me, I'm not sure if it's something of the virtual Machines or in my code (are very simple , only a hello World), but always I have something saying problems with SDL and the depth of bits...

Really this it's the S.O we have to test... I read the manufacturers of Hardware bagin to do new consoles for Steam, not it's only one console, seems it's open source and some people are doing by themselves, another gadget more in the room  =D =D

MrTAToad

Have you installed the SDL libraries and stuff ?

hardyx

You must to intall SDL libraries in Linux to execute GLB apps.
Type this lines in the console:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2
sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2

mentalthink

Hi Hardyx I tried you comment, but without succes... I read something about the Drivers of Nvidia into Linux, but for the moment I have the error I get always in Mac with Paralells I get the same error... I put into another post..

*** I install the mesa Library for OpenGL, but nothing... I think need something more of work, or I need to test in a real Machine...

Hark0

SteamOS installing not work for me on Virtualbox... but YES on Vmware Player... :good:

And... Anybody have tested Glbasic Linux compiled app on SteamOS?
http://litiopixel.blogspot.com
litiopixel.blogspot.com - Desarrollo videojuegos Indie · Pixel-Art · Retroinformática · Electrónica Development Indie Videogames · Pixel-Art · Retrocomputing · Electronic