NETQUITPPLAYER() is broken - returns wrong IDs and sometimes doesn't complete

Previous topic - Next topic

Wampus

OK, so when a client connected to a NET game quits with NETDESTROYPLAYER [their client ID number] the server command NETQUITPLAYER() pretty much consistently returns the wrong ID number.

NETQUITPLAYER should also keep returning the numbers of client IDs that have quit until reaching 0 but instead it sometimes misses them when more than one player have quit <- note, this is not a lag problem, unless lags of over 5 secs on a ethernet are to be expected.

In addition to the NETQUITPLAYER id being wrong, when a client uses NETDESTROYPLAYER they are not removed from the list of players found on the server with NETNUMPLAYERS() and NETGETPLAYERID, NETPLAYERNAME$.

The above behaviour is consistent on and between Windows and Android, i.e. its always the same, whether the host is an Android device or a Windows computer.

I have only tested this on LAN. I tested on IDE 11.171 and 10.283

On a tangent, does anyone know of a way to kick a client off the server? Doesn't seem to be a command for it.

matchy

Wampus

Kanonet lib? Where can I find it? I'm using my own code, written and explored from the ground up. I'm not going to share that as a sample but I could write a little proggy just to demonstrate what is happening.

Is anyone else seeing this with their own code using the NET commands?

kanonet

I did just play around with NET commands for a short time. They had to much limitations for me so I switched to SOCK commands. I think SOCK commands are really useful and easy to use, dont see a real advantage in using NET commands.
I did write my own little network lib, i think that is what matchy did talk about. You can find it on my website, but keep in mind that its in an early stage and under active development (atm im adding automatically syncing variables etc.).
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

matchy

Quote from: Wampus on 2012-Dec-04
I'm not going to share that..

:zzz:  :'(  >:D  :D

I recommend learning kanonet lib as I did and did write some stuff from ground up just to learn because server/client designs can differ and stability is the aim.
How information is passed around seems to be another matter, even if the general functions were perfect. For example, a collision can be locally processed for animation but process on the server for position.  :P

Wampus

Hmmm. Ok, I'll use pure SOCK commands instead. I thought NET would save some time but from what you and Kanonet I'd do better writing my own game session library.

erico

Quote from: kanonet on 2012-Dec-04
(atm im adding automatically syncing variables etc.).

This sounds interesting, not that I know anything about net, but I thought the original commands kind of did that :sick:
Gonna be a while before I ever try a "hello" through net anyways.