Ugh so dumb!

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

I just wasted two hours looking for a bug. I have a sample loaded into memory when the game runs and it wasn't playing, it did earlier today. I spent the last two hours, checking and rechecking the loading, player code adding stubs etc... to no avail. Then I finally realised what the problem was. I use VLC Media Player to browse the samples and choose the ones I need. I have one paused, as I have the sample play on repeat. It also had been minimised. My game refused to play one sample(no error just silence) and I had forgotten that it was open in VLC. To cut a long story short... VLC had the file locked down for it's own use when I paused it and my app carried on regardless in blissful silence, not being able to use the sample... arg, lesson learnt!  :giveup:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

UBERmonkeybot

I am so glad that sort of thing happens to other people as well. :good:

spacefractal

I'm a long time ago searched for a missing disc. After few hours I'm found the disc in.... my disc drive. Lol.

How the locked files can been quite annoying when using networking with Xcode.......
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Kitty Hello

The debug mode should have given a message.

bigsofty

Well sometimes its the simple things that trip you up. I was too busy looking for a complex problem I ignored the obvious one.  :S

@Gernot: I don't use debug mode, my project is pretty massive(95 GLB files) and it take 3x longer to compile in debug mode (I just open my own console window and write to STDOUT for messages instead). That said, it did send "Error: 7" to my console window, which I now see as "File being used by another process". Strange thing is you get the same message if you try and play a sample with only 1 buffer twice, before the first sample is finished.

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)