Keyboard-problem

Previous topic - Next topic

alzeus

Hello all, i am a new member of the GlBasic community and i want to request some help, with a curious problem i face.
I have some commands like
If key(11) = 1
endif

and when i run the program, not only it doesn't recognize typing r, but also no button at all! In other programms, i face a stranger problem:
when i type something in the programm, i see other letters. For example, if i type "r", i see "q"... What can i do to fix it? The only thing i can input to my variables is numbers, but it's not enough for me...

I have search other problems with keyboard at the forum, but the other guy typed KEY(08) instead of KEY(8), so it's not satisfying for me

Kitty Hello

post a bit more code, please. I don't really understand your question.
KEY(i) - the "i" variable is a key code, not a character index.

alzeus

SETSCREEN 640, 480, 1
LOADBMP "start.bmp"
PRINT "Would you like to take the red road or the yellow one?", 100, 320
PRINT "[R/Y]", 100, 340

IF KEY(19)= 1
CLEARSCREEN
LOADBMP "rpath.bmp"
ENDIF

That's it... When i say that i used a variable, i meant that the "user" would type red or yellow for himsel, but then i thought it would be simpler, just to give the choice between "r" or "y". When i tried that with a variable containing number, for example:

Input a, 100, 100
IF a=1
ElSE a=2
ENDIF

That worked, but with the variable with characters or with hitting buttons, i cannot see any result. What i am trying to say, is that i am probably missing something about the keyboard when running a programm.

Kitty Hello

there's no loop in you program. KEY will not wait for a key input.

key(19) returns the state of the "R" key. 0= up, 1=down.

alzeus

Could you write an example? I typed a While, but with what condition?

I mean that i typed a While True, but the programm didnt' responded and i had to shut it down.

Crivens

Something like this.
Code (glbasic) Select
SETSCREEN 640, 480, 1
LOADBMP "start.bmp"
LOCAL DONEQ%
WHILE DONEQ=0
PRINT "Would you like to take the red road or the yellow one?", 100, 320
PRINT "[R/Y]", 100, 340

IF KEY(19)
CLEARSCREEN
LOADBMP "rpath.bmp"
DONEQ=1
ELSEIF key(21)
CLEARSCREEN
LOADBMP "ypath.bmp"
DONEQ=1
ENDIF
SHOWSCREEN
WEND

Bit basic that example and not exactly streamlined or anything, but basically you need to keep showing the print because KEY doesn't wait around. You could always use BREAK to get out of the WHILE, but it's cleaner with a variable. Or you could make everything a single WHILE loop (I pretty much do for my latest game) and just use different handlers for different aspects of the game (SELECT CASE is a good command for example).

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

kanonet

Quote from: alzeus on 2012-Feb-10Input a, 100, 100
IF a=1
ElSE a=2
ENDIF

If you want to allow the user to input text this should be:
Code (glbasic) Select
Input a$, 100, 100
IF a$="r"
ElSE a$="y"
ENDIF

But the way with a loop and KEY() is the better on.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Crivens

You would need an ELSEIF (or a SELECT CASE or and ENDIF and another IF etc) on the a=2 otherwise you are setting a to 2.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

Darmakwolf

Alzeus - I ran into that problem when I first started. It's actually really simply. All programs that are constantly in motion work like this:

Code (glbasic) Select
while true

<code>

showscreen
wend

If you don't have showscreen in there, the program will "hang." and display nothing!

alzeus

Well, i can say that this problem is solved! Thanks guys for the immediate answer!