Switching from 2D to 3D

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerfy

Hi,

I want to use a mixture of 3d and 2d... sorta make my character 3d - but in a 2d world. Looking at the command instructions I can flip between the 2 modes on the fly. At the mo I'm thinking about doing my blitting in 2d, switching to 3d - draw the characters, then flip back into 2d for the last few bits I need to blit. Of course it will be doing all this flipping backwards and forwards a hell of a lot. (for the main game loop)

Is it ok to do this? Does anyone know any reason why I shouldnt do it this way??

I Just dont want to spend hours building my engine only to find I'm causing problems as the commands were not intended to be used like this.

Gerfy

Hatonastick

Totally off-topic, but I love your avatar Gerfy. :)

Sokurah

Quote from: Hatonastick on 2009-Aug-23

It's because there's a hat, right? ;)
Website: Tardis remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware. :-)
Twitter: Sokurah

Schranz0r

I <3 DGArray's :D

PC:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 16@4.5GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 RAM, ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 3060 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6, Windows 11 Pro 64Bit, MSi Tomahawk B350 Mainboard

Hatonastick

Quote from: Sokurah on 2009-Aug-23
Quote from: Hatonastick on 2009-Aug-23

It's because there's a hat, right? ;)
Ummm... Maybe..  :whistle:  I'd have to see a version without a hat to be totally sure.  =D

Ian Price

How can you not love Mr Ben anyway?
I came. I saw. I played.

Gerfy

hahaha.. too right! Problem is I'm old enough to remember the original series FIRST time round!  ;)

Loved the diver/submarine episode, think that was when he was after the sea monster.

Ian Price

Quote from: Gerfy on 2009-Aug-23
...I'm old enough to remember the original series FIRST time round!  ;)

Me too! :D
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Hmm that one must have bypassed this side of the puddle.  Mind you back in the early 70's we only had a small black and white TV and access to only 2 channels where we lived (out in the sticks).  Looks pretty cool from what little I was able to find out about it.

Billamu

Throwing my two cents in regarding the 2d-3d issue. GLBasic is good at dealing with 2d/3d, but I think for the sake of performance do as much as you can in 3d, including the 2d stuff.
I'm an Aries. I have lots of Ram.

Billamu

That's very interesting Ocean! I'll have to keep that one in mind. I've been thinking about using either rendered 2d or 3d for my app.  =D
I'm an Aries. I have lots of Ram.

Kitty Hello

If you're doing it for PC, you might want to consider using X_SPRITE or a 3D object instead of 2D, because if makes the positioning a bit easier IMO.