Display Lists

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsofty

It would be nice if we could use GL Display Lists to speed up the rendering of groups of simple objects. A great speed increase can be gained when the scene requires lots of little objects.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

MrTAToad

What about using PUSH/POPMATRIX ?

bigsofty

If the underlying functionality is already display lists, then I would be very happy but I think Gernot needs to confirm this.
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Kitty Hello

Display lists are not faster. I use vertex buffer objects, which are indeed fast (3D, though).

bigsofty

Quote from: Kitty Hello on 2009-Jul-29
Display lists are not faster. I use vertex buffer objects, which are indeed fast (3D, though).

Ah VBOs are a better choice in my book, I assumed that they would be harder to produce in your cross platform 3D engine Gernot.

All good!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

(E. W. Dijkstra)