Possible new version of GCC compiler

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithril

Hi,
I am trying to get some multi core programming going. But it seems the GCC compiler included is too old to handle parallell cpu core programming. Would it be possible to have a newer version of GCC included that can support OpenMP?  :)

/Mike

spacefractal

im do guess that means also require a lots of changes to the glbasic core its self. The code seen not been designed for threaded at all.

Im do thinks this post really should have been to put in the new "Source Code" forum?

For xCode im using the newest compiler that is include there, and its still compiling. Not sure about other versions.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

Mithril

You are probably right that an upgrade of the supplied libraries need an upgrade. I updated the compiler myself, and it compiled fine, but broke on the supplied libraries. But I can't guess how hard that would be to fix. Aside from compiling under the newer version that is.

Not sure if this fits in 'new source code' area though, because I am asking if the compiler can be upgraded. I am not entirely sure anything needs to be changed in source code (that we will see). OpenMP can be set by inline c++ programming, and it seems to compile just fine with the updated compiler I tried.

spacefractal

Which platform did you compiled for and what compiler did you uses?
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

kanonet

Did you try GLBasics 'official' multithread extension? You should not need a compiler update to get it working. New GCC would still be nice and was suggested earlier.
Lenovo Thinkpad T430u: Intel i5-3317U, 8GB DDR3, NVidia GeForce 620M, Micron RealSSD C400 @Win7 x64

Mithril

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-Dec-07
Which platform did you compiled for and what compiler did you uses?

I compiled for windows 32bit. But like I said, I managed to compile just fine, it was during execution it broke, because the precompiled libraries need some recompilation (i'd imagine, because I didn't debug, and look carefully)

Mithril

Quote from: kanonet on 2014-Dec-08
Did you try GLBasics 'official' multithread extension? You should not need a compiler update to get it working. New GCC would still be nice and was suggested earlier.

No I have not :) I didn't know there was one either, but I will try it. Thanks for the suggestion. And yes, a newer compiler would be appreciated :)

spacefractal

Can you setup the win32 project after the new structure I'm have set using the zip or install? I'm don't have visual studio so I'm can't relocate the files after I'm moved the source code into own folder.

Mithril

Quote from: spacefractal on 2014-Dec-10
Can you setup the win32 project after the new structure I'm have set using the zip or install? I'm don't have visual studio so I'm can't relocate the files after I'm moved the source code into own folder.

Not sure I am following you? Everything I did in the editor seemed to work just fine. Even compiling gave no issues. Just running the compiled program didn't work. But that is the extent of my testing.

I also tried the threads library, but that doesn't work as expected I have to say. Creating threads isn't the same thing. To get this to work properly, something like OpenMP really is needed. But I am not going to engage in this any further. I have too little time available. I will solve this in my own way instead. Thanks for helping out guys :)

spacefractal

The platform was seen easier than excepted and have been relocated in the bat files. It's diddent need visual studio at all for compiling it, but more when you want a ide to code in.

I'm tried threads in spot race for loading the level (before it's became the circle game), but it's crashed too much.

For glbasic the best uses would different been reading files and load textures in the background. That could do very much that alone.