Remote access to Mac Mini

Previous topic - Next topic

Crivens

Ok so I've got my GLB application setup and now I'm moving from Android to setting up on iOS.

This was no worries in the past as my Mac Mini was connected to my 2nd monitor on my desk. Now though, since I've moved countries, I have it as a media server on my lounge TV.

I've got around annoying the wife's TV by using VNC (UltraVNC) from my Windows laptop to a different user on the Mac. Works pretty well by keeping both OSX users seperate so she can watch TV on the Mac while I use the laptop with GLB and UltraVNC to then compile in XCode. Pretty sweet.

Only downside is I then have to get up, walk across the lounge, and use the iDevice plugged into the Mac. Not exactly the end of the world but a bit of a pain when you are compiling quite a lot. And a little annoying for the TV loving wife.

Anyway I was thinking of getting an extension cable to the Mac so I can keep the iDevice next to me. Not ideal as it's a wire going across the lounge floor, but acceptable. However I got thinking is there a way to basically access the USB from the remote machine (especially good for different parts of the house). Googling is difficult as it raises things like keeping VNC on a USB drive and the like. I can't find much on it at all. Essentially I want to plug my iDevice into the Windows PC and the Mac Mini will then detect it like I have plugged the iDevice into it. So when I go to compile in XCode it transfers the app to the iDevice that is actually plugged into my Windows PC.

So I was wondering if anyone has done this and can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Current fave quote: Cause you like musicians and I like people with boobs.

bigsofty

Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Crivens

Interesting. Might be possible but needs to work with OSX, so might need more research. Ta for that!

Annoyingly there was an option to use wireless devices in XCode 4.2, but it has been removed for being unreliable. Honestly, hardly rocket science surely...

Cheers

Crivens

Unfortuantly that device got a lot of negative reviews and apparently doesn't work for OSX :(

But I did find this : http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-ethernet/
Apparently it's the only USB redirector written for OSX and they do a 14 day trial.

The sales guy said that v2 of their OSX software should work (unreleased beta because v1 doesn't work with iDevices properly), so I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Hopefully it works as it would be very handy to be able to compile XCode from any PC in the house without actually being right next to the Mac Mini. Mix that with a VNC (UltraVNC I'm using) and multiple logins (so can use the Mini for other things like a TV media centre) and your Mac Mini is just an XCode server. Nice.

Cheers

Crivens

It works! Whoop. It's a little slower, but it gets the job done. Essentially compile to an iDevice using a Windows PC. Just make sure your Mac Mini is on to be the middle man. Hurrah!

Plus I noticed while it was installing it mentioned accessing the USB drive from anywhere over the internet. Nice.

Cheers

erico

This all sounds like a good plan to wire the house, great it worked out! :good:

Crivens

Yeah, and it actually isn't that slow at all once you have it going. Nicely means I can put that idea of a Mac laptop on hold with a little bit of hassle. But not that much :)

Cheers

bigsofty

Nice find, this could mean I could move my Mac away from the PC... Handy!  :good:
Cheers,

Ian.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC.  As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
(E. W. Dijkstra)

Crivens

Yep. I even have the Mac Mini playing media on the TV at the same time at it seems to run ok (late 2010 Mac Mini). Good old completely split accounts since Snow Leopard I think.

Cheers