New (old) game, Balloonacy

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I'm in the process of updating one of my old games, Balloonacy, for Wiz and pc (with Wiz being the preferred format).

Here are some screenies of the old and new versions

OLD

NEW

NEW TOO

There's still plenty of stuff to do, but shouldn't be too long :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Kitty Hello

The new format looks really great. Can't wait to play. I like that kind of games, you really have taste ;)

Hemlos

Bing ChatGpt is pretty smart :O

Nobiag

I just saw that in the gp32x Forum (but im not yet registered there) and i think it looks great. Cant wait to play it on my wiz :)

Ian Price

Cheers :)

I've changed the spiders now - they look (and move a lot better) than they did in the screenies.

Be warned though, this game is tough!
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Hey that looks really cool!  Is it just going to be on the handhelds btw?

Ian Price

Quote from: Ian Price on 2009-Jul-09
I'm in the process of updating one of my old games, Balloonacy, for Wiz and pc (with Wiz being the preferred format).

I have to say though that the pc version is much, much easier than the Wiz version and a doddle to go all the way through :( Cursor Keys are much more accurate and precise than the D-Pad. The Wiz handles very well, but the pc is better, but ultimately not as satisfying.

Many of the game aspects actually look much nicer on the Wiz too, plus it fits in your pocket :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Hatonastick

Reading comprehension FTW!  Sorry about that mate.  My lights are on but nobody's home.  :whistle:

On the PC version, randomly reverse the controls or force them to use the mouse.  =D

Yeah if I had a Wiz, I'd play the portable version not the PC one.  Hmm I should _REALLY_ look into getting one I think.

Ian Price

LOL. Way to piss off the average pc owner :P

Re: The Wiz. It's a very nice machine, but it does have lots of faults. It's still early days for it and software updates will improve certain features, however there is increasing competition in the handheld market nowadays and I really can't see it being supported to any great extent by homebrew or commercial software beyond a year tbh. But me, I love it.
I came. I saw. I played.

Ian Price

I've decided to go Wiz only with this.

Here's a 10 level WIP - http://www.iprice.remakes.org/my_stuff/Balloonacy_wiz_wip.rar

Sorry pc owners, but the controls are just too precise for you guys, making the game way too easy.
I came. I saw. I played.

Nobiag

nice! i like the graphics and the music, but i am a bit dissapointed of the controls, because i imagened them being like this:
- pressing x or b uses air and lets the balloon ascend
- the d-pad is just for left and right
- and to go down you just have to wait and press nothing

As far as i've seen it in your game the "air" could just be named "time" because it goes down constantly once you've started (?). When i read "air" on the screenshots i thought it would only be drained, when you press a button to go up.

Well its just my opinion and the current controls are not that bad, but i just expected them to be different.

Ian Price

It is often difficult to judge from a screenshot what the game will actually play like. My screens to not paint a false picture of the game - your imagination did that. Expectations are rarely met ;) However, I do know wht you mean.

Air is indeed time. It's the way it was in Manic Miner (which I stated early on that this game was inspired by, and includes an homage to Miner Willy in one of the caves) and other games. It doesn't represent use of a burner for the balloon, which is not actually air anyway.

Controls can easily be tweaked, in fact I do plan to change them to something similar to what you suggest - I can add in a redefine controls option too. :)

Originally I had no "down" control, but this slowed the pace of the game right down and more boring - sometimes you need to get out of a sticky spot quite quickly and "down" helps. Yes it is unrealistic, but so is the whole premise, really. Hence it stays. Sorry. You don't have to use it, you know ;)

Remember the game is still WIP, so I can and will be updating various things based on feedback, which I'm very grateful for. :)
I came. I saw. I played.

Nobiag

ok, sounds great. im looking forward for the different control options :)